Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

Looking at the recap... unfortunately I'm more certain of my grim assessment based on the consistency between GE judges. The 'Coats show doesn't have any deeper meaning for the judges to appreciate on multiple reads. They really needed to see this show as a GE powerhouse from the first read for this to work. Even if they get the visual performance stuff worked out (and playing catch up is an awful game) that GE spread is a poison pill. Too bad the crowd doesn't seem to feel the same way.

this is also my assessment... a corps doesn't simply ADD ge and have the score come along. a show needs to be "accepted" by the judging community as "effective"or you're toast in the upper tier...

these numbers (from "real" judges, who will certainly judge regionals and one night at indy) say to bluecoats, "pretty good, but not title-quality."

I too was at the cinecast tonight with a "non-drum corps" friend and oddly enough, her favorite show was the cadets, followed by phantom for their "story." I'm not surprised at all though, that her favorite unis were bloo followed by Boston.

this is also my assessment... a corps doesn't simply ADD ge and have the score come along. a show needs to be "accepted" by the judging community as "effective"or you're toast in the upper tier...

these numbers (from "real" judges, who will certainly judge regionals and one night at indy) say to bluecoats, "pretty good, but not title-quality."

GE is being judged in a completely new way this year. I think it's too early to make that call.

GE is being judged in a completely new way this year. I think it's too early to make that call.

they can say that the GE sheet is changing, but until someone can actually describe GE in the first place, it'll just be judges saying "i know effective when i see effective."

Huh. We were in the same theatre. I was the one who came in after Cavaliers performed and sat in the middle of the nearly wide-open front section.

I was referencing 09.

I didn't go this year, busy during the cinecast, and i now live in columbus.

I mean really: how in the hell do you have a 3 point spread in percussion achievement between 6 corps in a show with 7 corps. DO SOME #### JUDGING IT'S WHAT YOU'RE BEING PAID TO DO.

TOTALLY agree. I said this earlier:

His numbers look like a pretty hot mess. On one hand, props for mixing up the sub-captions, but on the other hand, with only seven corps:

* a sub-caption tie in content

* a three-way sub-caption tie in achievement

* 2 over-all ties

* a 4 point spread from first to last in content; 4 point spread from first to last in achievement (again, with seven units)

Not a good night, IMO. I HATE sub-caption ties; if an overall tie happens w/zero sub ties then I guess I can believe that (especially if subs are mixed up as much as they were tonight). But the numbers management issues (again, 4 point spread from 1-7 in sub captions is not a good idea; probably starting Boston off so high was also probably not a good idea) look awful.

I wonder what his tapes sound like: at this point that might be his only saving grace...

Also, I wonder if someone had a chat with him since his numbers the next night in Bowling Green look a lot more normal

TOTALLY agree. I said this earlier:

His numbers look like a pretty hot mess. On one hand, props for mixing up the sub-captions, but on the other hand, with only seven corps:

* a sub-caption tie in content

* a three-way sub-caption tie in achievement

* 2 over-all ties

* a 4 point spread from first to last in content; 4 point spread from first to last in achievement (again, with seven units)

Not a good night, IMO. I HATE sub-caption ties; if an overall tie happens w/zero sub ties then I guess I can believe that (especially if subs are mixed up as much as they were tonight). But the numbers management issues (again, 4 point spread from 1-7 in sub captions is not a good idea; probably starting Boston off so high was also probably not a good idea) look awful.

I wonder what his tapes sound like: at this point that might be his only saving grace...

Also, I wonder if someone had a chat with him since his numbers the next night in Bowling Green look a lot more normal

Judges do get looked at and critiqued by their bosses. Michael Cesario has said point blank efforts are made to correct these occurrences so that judges are not just throwing out numbers.

they can say that the GE sheet is changing, but until someone can actually describe GE in the first place, it'll just be judges saying "i know effective when i see effective."

This had been discussed before, but your assessment is just flat out naive/ignorant and wrong. The GE sheets have very explicit criteria and the DCI judges are more than competent enough to know what effect is. You can look at the new GE sheets with a simple search of DCI's website.

Just because you personally don't understand how to evaluate effect doesn't make the caption some nebulous hard to define thing

• Like 1

It's also way too soon to tell. This was show #1. Panels change. Minds change. There is plenty of precedent for lower scoring GE captions recovering enough to medal. You don't have to win GE, just get it close enough to let the other captions ride you in.

Judges do get looked at and critiqued by their bosses. Michael Cesario has said point blank efforts are made to correct these occurrences so that judges are not just throwing out numbers.

Yeah I was mostly being facetious. I would bet money that judge got talked to at least once in that time span between Akron & Bowling Green