Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

oh wow - stay positive! 1 show does not a trend make, let alone a season!

Ha... don't get me wrong. I think this show should be a winner. I think that the quarterfinals broadcast line will be "they're not blooing... they are in fact booing". People are going to be upset with their placement... but fans don't set the scores. Judges do. That GE spread is wide. The judges don't think that the general effect of the show is championship worthy. A shows GE really never changes. All GE just inflates together over time. I was curious to see what the judging read would be... and it isn't good. Technical and performance scores can be worked with... but GE is an assessment of total concept. It really needed to be tighter. Maybe other judges will see it differently, but the agreement between these two is not very reassuring.

• Like 1

There was clearly a struggle with numbers management tonight with this judge

Yeah, I think you might be putting it lightly! His numbers look like a pretty hot mess. On one hand, props for mixing up the sub-captions, but on the other hand, with only seven corps:

* a sub-caption tie in content

* a three-way sub-caption tie in achievement

* 2 over-all ties

* a 4 point spread from first to last in content; 4 point spread from first to last in achievement (again, with seven units)

Not a good night, IMO. I HATE sub-caption ties; if an overall tie happens w/zero sub ties then I guess I can believe that (especially if subs are mixed up as much as they were tonight). But the numbers management issues (again, 4 point spread from 1-7 in sub captions is not a good idea; probably starting Boston off so high was also probably not a good idea) look awful.

I wonder what his tapes sound like: at this point that might be his only saving grace...

Also, I wonder if someone had a chat with him since his numbers the next night in Bowling Green look a lot more normal

• Like 1

Coats, you got hosed and I am so sorry for that. This feels like it'll be another "Criminal (2007)" year, where you don't get the credit you should.

Don't get discouraged, please. Keep doing what you're doing.

• Like 2

Just got back from theater which was packed!

Cadets- total package and whether you love, like or hate them, they were visually the most coherent, consistent and well developed by a decent margin and that includes a very very wonderful guard. The show needs some additions and cleaning but fundamentally a contender IMO. ( dudes, shave your faces!)

Crown- I like this show a lot but still not loving it, technically great but not pulling me in just yet. Visual clarity a big problem. Too much

blue tones on the field similar problem as 2012 with too much cream.

Bluecoats- very good show with some great music and visual effects but I need a second read. When you take out the effects, it's a basic visual program. My feeling is they are going to layer this show and it will start to run.

Phantom- I thought they were so boring in INDY and I loved them tonight. Already so much visual clarity and they sounded much fuller.

Loved them tonight. Must be working hard!

Cavaliers- I'm really starting to enjoy the show. Visually not as good as phantom but a show with

legs. Great percussion line!

Madison- I really didn't love Madison. Some great music but visually very vanilla. I need to rewatch.

Boston- I really need to rewatch. I think the most successful programs are those with straight forward

concepts and this show doesn't fall into that grouping. I did think there were some great

visual moments, great field coverage but show needs development.

Edited by theCHEZman
  • Like 1

My favourite show right now.......Boston.

It's so weird....so far removed from anything they've done in the past. I think they have the hardest drill and you could see they weren't yet comfortable with it but when it's clean it's going to be so fricken incredible.

I love this show!

• Like 8

My favourite show right now.......Boston.

It's so weird....so far removed from anything they've done in the past. I think they have the hardest drill and you could see they weren't yet comfortable with it but when it's clean it's going to be so fricken incredible.

I love this show!

Agree -- I LOVE weird!

and Barber :-)