Drone wars

If one is used at a show I paid to attend, I would be very tempted to use some anti-drone weaponry.

Things change, and we need to learn to go with the flow. These Drone and Bugle Corps might have drones now, but no weaponry( some not even wooden rifles ), so it looks you're in the clear, Kamarag for any preemptive strike if it comes to that ( haha!)

Eeeeverybody wants the new, cool, shiny toys! Amusing that drone technology is being utilized in this activity. It's not like any audience member will judge a show from directly overhead, though it is cool for promotional videos and pictures: would that make them a write-off?

Regardless, as a fan, it's cool to see videos from that perspective. Wonder how long corps will keep that up?

Edited by perc2100

Interesting that the Blue Stars are using a Phantom drone.

I attended a rehearsal this past weekend where a drone was used. Good lord that thing was annoying. Even several hundred feet up, then buzzing noise from the single drone was disruptive. I think for PR purposes and the occasional use to make a video, it's fine. But for regular use or at a show it would be over the top

If one is used at a show I paid to attend, I would be very tempted to use some anti-drone weaponry.

If the machines were silent (or nearly so) would you feel the same way?

Would be cool; dunno if the risk (drone breaks drops & hits a member) would be worth the "cool" factor though. There is video of various different over-head cameras falling in the middle of various football games, and while those are significantly heavier than a drone, a drone falling on an unsuspecting person would not be comfortable

I just have flashbacks to the Beavis and Butthead relaunch episode that had them in charge of drones

We've been hearing various narration drone on and on for years!

If a heavy enough drone lands on a horn player, it'll turn anything into a B-flat!

How about putting small wireless amps on drones and zipping them around for true "surround sound?"

Legalizing drones during performance would give us just what we need...more designers with their head in the clouds.

(On my only even remotely serious note, I am utterly wowed by how stable a camera platform those things are. Very cool!)

• Like 1

If the machines were silent (or nearly so) would you feel the same way?

Nope. if it's unobtrusive, take flight!

Now if the boring corps want to take it to the next level and deliver to me a hot dog and coke with said drone, I might sit through their show....

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

To answer OP's question, PR's drone work seems to be the best so far. The video they released was quality. Beautiful, dramatic, and well done.

• Like 1