How Phantom Could Have Won in '89

http://youtu.be/g10DqPbbUuw

Game. Set. match

• Like 1

LOL. Fire the guard and replace them with the USC Song Girls??

I'm not sure they would have won though. Judge at the end of the show: "I'm sorry, what caption was I judging?? Oh. I'm sorry, I don't remember anything about the drumline."

• Like 2

Were there any women among the judges at Finals that year?

From memory I thought Marie C was there for finals in 1989, and don't get the Phans started on that with a close loss, but no, she wasn't there. The only one I'm not sure about is 1989 DCI finals color guard judge "J. Gilbert". John, Jim, or Judy, or...? The other judges that night were men:

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19890819div1finals.htm

How could they have won? Simple, take out that absurd attempt at swing in the ballad.

Beyond that, I loved SCV, but they shouldn't have won.

How could they have won? Simple, take out that absurd attempt at swing in the ballad.

Beyond that, I loved SCV, but they shouldn't have won.

Yes, that Neal Hefti'ish drum part in the Largo is what I always point to whenever the topic comes up.

The problem for me personally later through the 80's is that the same sort of drum part spread to the MB world in my area in a lot of their balled-type numbers, and I was judging a lot of those shows!

I actually had a band director (a percussionist as I am) of a very fine band come up to me and ask me to comment on the part in his band's show when I was judging Music Effect at a show....he HATED it, but the rest of the staff loved it as being very "Phantom-ish". :tounge2: