Slotting: time tested, mother approved.

That which has been is that which will be, that which has been done is that which will be done. .

Which probably means you wish it wasn't the witching hour, but which it is when all the witches come out every which way.

Totally. The established aristocracy like Crown and Bluecoats have been getting medals since DCI was founded, and newer groups like Madison, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment and Vanguard never get a fair shake. Things never change I tell you!

This! I literally lol'd.

I have no allegiance to any particular corps. When my kids were in it I had a bias to the corps' they marched in but any parent would. I marched in the 70's and corps' went back and forth from show to show. Tremendous amount of flip flopping show to show. As life happened was away from the activity for many years. When I got back into the activity I noticed very little back in forth in placements. I inquired from an old drum corps friend who is well respected judge in state circuit and WGI. He indicated to me that there is a term called slotting that frequently occurs in DCI. Which is why he does not judge for DCI by the way. How is it that if there is a significant bump in a score for corps A that corps B,C,D see that bump as well. Whether at same show or across the country on the same day. This does not just happen. The aforementioned judge friend asked this very question at a DCI judges symposium and they could not give him a valid reason. You may call me cry baby, believe that it's a conspiracy or whatever you wish but from my vantage point on balance slotting or whatever term you call it happens. The activity in my opinion would strengthen and attract/bring back fans if it had an any given night scenario at the shows. That was my intent in this thread. Nothing more nothing less.

• Like 1

I have no allegiance to any particular corps. When my kids were in it I had a bias to the corps' they marched in but any parent would. I marched in the 70's and corps' went back and forth from show to show. Tremendous amount of flip flopping show to show. As life happened was away from the activity for many years. When I got back into the activity I noticed very little back in forth in placements. I inquired from an old drum corps friend who is well respected judge in state circuit and WGI. He indicated to me that there is a term called slotting that frequently occurs in DCI. Which is why he does not judge for DCI by the way. How is it that if there is a significant bump in a score for corps A that corps B,C,D see that bump as well. Whether at same show or across the country on the same day. This does not just happen. The aforementioned judge friend asked this very question at a DCI judges symposium and they could not give him a valid reason. You may call me cry baby, believe that it's a conspiracy or whatever you wish but from my vantage point on balance slotting or whatever term you call it happens. The activity in my opinion would strengthen and attract/bring back fans if it had an any given night scenario at the shows. That was my intent in this thread. Nothing more nothing less.

The musicians/performers are increasingly professionals in training, so is it possible they're simply much more consistent night-to-night than their predecessors?

Have you ever noticed the correlation between how Madison scores and how people freak out about "slotting"?

Winner winner chicken dinner.

• Like 1