First regional this week! DCI La Crosse.

There is so much visual clutter in their show that I am surprised anyone could actually see her. I am a huge Blue Stars fan but this years show is a visual disaster because of the amount of crap that they drag onto the field. Ugh!

I happen to agree. I want to like their show and have seen it a few times in person now, but still can't get into it because of all the clutter. Add in the fact that I've seen members walk through the "walls" and there's actually furniture sitting ON the "walls", I guess I just don't even fully understand the show concept.

Yeah because Cadets' and Crown's percussion lines didn't take that caption all year. :doh:

How about we just take it as there were other corps better than Bluecoats' drum line last night...

I'm not in the "Bluecoats got hosed" camp... but they have dominated percussion against both of those corps and BD as much as they have lost it. There is no consistent read in the percussion category across the field.

Yeah, I first noticed said judge during the Colts show. Initially, I thought she was the person on female vocals until I saw the young lady in the pit performing. I, too, thought there were uniform requirements for the judges. She looked like she had just flown in from a Fleetwood Mac concert.

Edited by shortn'sour

I'm not in the "Bluecoats got hosed" camp... but they have dominated percussion against both of those corps and BD as much as they have lost it. There is no consistent read in the percussion category across the field.

Which makes the upcoming addition of a press box percussion judge all the more interesting. I thought they were going to add it at regionals but I guess he wasn't there at this one??

Right. Because, for the next 4 weeks, nothing except the judging panels will be changing for any of the corps.... They are all marching their final product and have nothing left to do except clean, clean clean.

My point is that as per all changes and developments over 3 weeks, nothing has changed. It would appear that these corps are progressing in parallel... it's evident in the scores and span of time thus far. The situation appears to be the same as night 1 in Akron... that is the pattern.

I tend to agree with RConta that Bluecoats got hosed last night in percussion. It doesn't make sense. I'm chalking it up as an anomaly for now. I expect things will work themselves out over the course of the season.

Go Bloo

I don't think anyone got hosed. You're right, Bluecoats drumline was phenomenal last night. So was Cadets and Crown. It's ok to recognize the greatness of one corps without having to imply that the rest aren't also great.

For those commenting on one particular judge at last night's show:

If you knew the judge, you'd understand everything. Trust me.

• Like 1

While perhaps the Cadets (and Crown... and Cavies...???) were simply better in percussion, I do think the particular gap of nearly a full point (0.9) is questionable.

Especially considering Bloo has trumped Cadets (and BD, and Crown) already this year. An off night is understandable, but nearly a point is kind of whacky. But I guess over the years, I've come to expect nothing less from percussion judges. :)

Edited by IMcomguy

Holy Knights of Columbus !!... what was that lady field judge wearing to work last nite ? What a clothing mess she was, huh ? Does she stop off at the local Goodwill truck stop before work to see if they'll give her an outfit that the Goodwill folks were thinking of tossing out ? Whats up with HER ?

Much earlier in this thread it was mentioned that she is still not a full time DCI judge and hasn't earned her "clipboard" yet. She might be close to getting it if she was being evaluated for last nights important show. Wonder when she makes it if she'll be allowed to ignore the DCI judges uniform. Don't know if BOA (where she currently works) has judges uniforms. Let's not be PC here. She is a large person and slacks/golf shirts would not do her any justice and some DCP folks might have a field day if she wore them. I'd be more critical if she constantly stays on the touch line when her brass responsibility is 50 yards away.

Edited by Ghost

While perhaps the Cadets were simply better in percussion, I do think the particular gap of nearly a full point (0.9) is questionable.

Especially considering Bloo has trumped Cadets (and BD, and Crown) already this year. An off night is understandable, but nearly a point is kind of whacky. But I guess over the years, I've come to expect nothing less from percussion judges. :)

That's what I'm talking about. One win could be an outlier... but the Bloo has done it several times, against everyone... as much as they have lost. And the wins were spread out. If the trend was that these groups are trading captions then the score should be tighter.