Can Bluecoats win gold?

General Effect scoring as they announced it seemed like it was supposed to be very different than it has been, taking into consideration how the audience perceives the show and enjoys it, but it seems like it's being judged as it always is as of late. Something that confuses me. I still wonder what some judges are watching, such a subjective thing to decide how effective a show is. To me the only thing that is an accurate measure, year in year out is how the crowd responds, and usually isn't apparent in the scoring.

Fugett's been the only judge so far that seems to have judged GE according to the new rules this year.

• Like 1

Didn't McGahey also give Bloo first in GE? Something about Texas band directors giving correct GE scores....

Something about everything's bigger and better in Texas?

I wouldn't know, I live in Virginia :tounge2:

Could bluecoats win gold? Yes. Will bluecoats win gold? No

"Tilt" is about how much DCI has leaned towards WGI, and how WGI judges score body movement as highly as demanding drill. In my book, difficulty should count for something.

Don't know if you meant for the pun, but I enjoyed your "inclination" towards humor.

• Like 1

I doubt it, but it would be great if they did. The Blue Devils show is really boring. When the Bluecoats are done with their show, the crowd goes nuts. When the Blue Devils are done, the crowd applauses, but out of respect not out of enthusiasm. But then again, the DCI championship is not based on crowd favorites.

General Effect scoring as they announced it seemed like it was supposed to be very different than it has been, taking into consideration how the audience perceives the show and enjoys it, but it seems like it's being judged as it always is as of late. Something that confuses me. I still wonder what some judges are watching, such a subjective thing to decide how effective a show is. To me the only thing that is an accurate measure, year in year out is how the crowd responds, and usually isn't apparent in the scoring.

Audiences don't "enjoy" different shows in the same way. Some shows are more emotional, some more intellectual, some you appreciate the execution or demand and some the creativity impresses. Not all shows are "fun" type shows - which I think a lot of you guys are mistaking for "best GE" -- VK was almost always the crowd favorite because they were fun - but I'm hoping no one thinks they should have "won GE" because of laughing and standing O's... Madison is very "in your face" some years and ends their shows with company fronts drawing the crowd out of their seats. Doesn't mean they have the best GE.

I love Coats - and get the crowd reaction - but their show lacks GE right now - it doesn't shape well, a little flat, then the very fun ending. And I'm saying this as someone who wants them to win. They are running 4th or so in GE right now, 3rd some nights. As they should be.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

Audiences don't "enjoy" different shows in the same way. Some shows are more emotional, some more intellectual, some you appreciate the execution or demand and some the creativity impresses. Not all shows are "fun" type shows - which I think a lot of you guys are mistaking for "best GE" -- VK was almost always the crowd favorite because they were fun - but I'm hoping no one thinks they should have "won GE" because of laughing and standing O's... Madison is very "in your face" some years and ends their shows with company fronts drawing the crowd out of their seats. Doesn't mean they have the best GE.

I love Coats - and get the crowd reaction - but their show lacks GE right now - it doesn't shape well, a little flat, then the very fun ending. And I'm saying this as someone who wants them to win. They are running 4th or so in GE right now, 3rd some nights. As they should be.

So this is something a lot of people could use a refresher on. What do the current sheets say "good GE" is? I remember when they were releasing the new judging rules a couple years ago, and was it Cesario gushing about "audience engagement" being a part? Thoughts? Edited by ajlemm
  • Like 2

Would I like it to win? Yes.

But...too many times the music feels the same...some serious shaping and tweaking can really add in positive ways. I still think the ending needs to be tweaked somehow...from the Bend to the push...awesome. Then...the ending. If they want that crowd surge to propel them ala Phantom 08, the ending needs to be HUGE!

Agree. The pitch bend is nice, but they're not maximizing it like they could. The stuff they do afterward is whatever. IMO, it actually lessens the effect. They've got the crowd primed after the bend and they need to end the show shortly after. Charge the front sideline, full company front. Something. In '08 Regiment had the crowd on their feet borderline delirious 30 seconds before the show ended. 'Coats are getting a good response, but nothing to that level, and as the poster said, they're going to need that type of response to push them past BD or Cadets. Edited by mboogey73

I'm just catching up with Bluecoats' San Antonio performance now. Was that the first time the elbowed poles were orange? A nice addition, I think.