One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

I would say the design staff reached on this one and the corps final results will not match the talent level of the members.

That's a fair assessment, but I think part of it is intentional.

The drill design is nothing like what the G7 groups are doing. Less focus on musical staging and body movement, more focus on overall effect and risky/exposed drill. Sort of a return to what was considered effective drill 15+ years ago, which I kind of like.

• Like 4

When I spent time with BAC during spring training in Maine, I immediately thought the show was a top 4 or 5 design, both in terms of music and visual. I still maintain that. Is it a great challenge for the members and staff to clean? Absolutely. The naysayers' narrative that Animal Farm is TOO difficult flies in the face of what is actually happening this summer in terms of scoring trends. Back on July 2, Boston was virtually neck and neck with Spirit, and 11 points behind the Bluecoats.

Here we are, less than a month later, and BAC is not even in the same time zone as Spirit and last night were less than 6 points behind the Bluecoats. Their trajectory has been clear and consistent. Will they come in 4th or 5th this year? No. Can they clean their way to 6th or 7th? Quite possibly.

This is an incredibly competitive year for the "middle 6" of the top 12. The Cavies are vastly improved over the last several seasons, as are the Blue Stars, and the Blue Knights have put their best show on the field in years. Ultimately, however, I know for a fact that BAC is taking the long view. Their BOD has committed the orgainzation to do whatever it takes both on and off the field to grow this drum corps into a top 3 contender. One might say this is year 1 of that vision. In talking with people in the inner circle of both the Board and the design team, they absolutely intend to keep the pedal to the floor right through to the end.

When taken in context with the off-field moves they've made (Inspire Arts & Music, Great East Music Festivals, Great East Music Store, Mass Bay Music Festivals, Band Shoppe alliance, branding everything including the souvie marketplace and the trucks, and all the rest), this show makes complete sense. How many DCI drum corps have DOUBLED their budget in the last of 18 months? Only one.

Various interpretations aside, this show provides clear evidence that Boston has jumped WAY out of their comfort zone with this show, and so far, it has been serving them well. No one knows what the end game will be, but Animal Farm is taking us on one heII of a ride.

Edited by craiga

All said, I like the originality of this show. I wish it were being performed with more clarity (cleaning will get it there) but I'm not sure where the ceiling is for this group.

This year has such a diversity of shows and Boston's is the leader of the 'cerebral, dark, intense' style. It appeals to me this year because it stands out as a different direction for show design. There's a lot of shows this year that could be 'signposts' for where shows could go in the next few seasons and all of these signposts are, quite frankly, exciting in their own way. Which makes it hard to adjudge them side by side sometimes.

At the end of the day, I watch DCI to be entertained and find myself being entertained in a wide variety of ways. Boston's show achieves this for me and wherever they end up on the scoresheets, it's a successful year in my view.

"Show" being superior to "Tell" is a common rule in any artistic medium. People often criticize shows like The Office and Modern Family for having a cheap effect of a talking head where characters can simply sit down and tell you how they are feeling, rather than just you watching them and having to figure it out for yourself. DCI of course is becoming that way, where if you're "telling" the audience something it somehow becomes more effective and typically gets you higher scores. Unfortunately I don't think it should be that way.

I love that Boston went the "Show" route rather than the "Tell" route.

I fully concur.

For BAC to take the approach of "THIS is what this means. THIS is the correct interpretation of what we are saying. THIS is the way, and the only way, you will see it." would ironically be supporting the very dictatorial practice that they, and Orwell himself, are attempting to satirize. Instead, I see it more as sending a message of "Here's the story. Take and learn from it what you will -- and let the chips fall where they may." In other words, extending a level of respect to the viewer as being an intelligent thinker -- not a mindless moron who can only understand something IF it is slowly and carefully explained to him (or her).

And no, I am not calling the rank-and-file drum corps attendee a moron. I use that term more from a philosophical point of view.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

"Show" being superior to "Tell" is a common rule in any artistic medium. People often criticize shows like The Office and Modern Family for having a cheap effect of a talking head where characters can simply sit down and tell you how they are feeling, rather than just you watching them and having to figure it out for yourself. DCI of course is becoming that way, where if you're "telling" the audience something it somehow becomes more effective and typically gets you higher scores. Unfortunately I don't think it should be that way.

I love that Boston went the "Show" route rather than the "Tell" route.

I think "rule" is too strong. Following so-called artistic rules leads to cookie-cutter productions. As jwillis has observed several times in the past few weeks, narrators have their own storied tradition. And "tell" rather than "show" is precisely the method of a great dramatic device: the soliloquy. That said, I agree that it is more likely than not to be a shortcut to avoid a more challenging way of getting an idea across.

I was thinking more along the lines of an even darker theme: "Into Hell and Back -- Dante's Wild Ride." During vacation in Maine last week, I read Dan Brown's "Inferno," and thought it would actually make one heck of a show idea. I know that BK did it a couple of times 10 or 12 years ago (At least the Robert Smith composition). My show would not use this piece, but assorted other pieces illustrating "inferno," "Purgatory," and "Paradise" of Dante's Divine Comedy. The possibilities are limitless for melding the old ("Peel your face off.") Corps power with the new (added visual awareness). I'd love to write it and try it -- but my own band doesn't do field marching. Oh well....maybe I'll flesh it out anyway, and contribute it when the "2015 show ideas you'd love to see" thread comes along this winter (if not sooner).

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

Looking forward to Boston's show next year: "Lord of the Flies"

I wouldn't mind this.

If one takes the long view, in order for Boston to move out of its decade and a half long comfort zone of being a lock for Finals, but no challenge for the top 3, then it must neccesarily begin with a more challenging, demanding, show for its young performers both visually and musically. I would imagine this year is stage 1 in that respect. I think Boston could have easily put out an easier show for its 2014 marchers, and what would that accomplished, really ? 1, or at most 2 placement positions of where they might end up this year ? How would this however prepare their potential returnees in their Corps for any better for next season ? This season's approach seems best suited for their attaining long term future placement success for their Corps it seems to me... and the fact that this season's show is far from " safe and easy " and actually is bold, edgy, progressive, fierce, etc and thus interesting on the whole, is an added plus for us fans, and I'd imagine, and most importantly, for the 2014 Boston Crusaders marchers themselves.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I found the parallels somewhat obvious after seeing it live then watching a second time on FN and looking for specific elements from Animal Farm (book). The G7 formation in the middle of the show was the clue to watch it again and look for the parallels between DCI organizing/politics and the show.

Then again, I've actually read Animal Farm.

Yea, it was pretty obvious as soon as the title was announced and I saw parts of the show, AND they said it wasn't based on the book.