Allentown. . . DAY TWO !

Where were the drum majors for awards last night? I missed that. Never seen an absent score announcement before.

corps left due to long drives.

A few random thoughts from a FN viewer. First, I consider FN to be the best thing to happen for someone like me (age 63) who will FOREVER be interested in the activity, support it with time and money, but doesn't need to 'be there' all the time to appreciate the magnificence of it all. I am certain, I'm not the only person grateful for FN in this same, unusual way.

The broadcast from Allentown was of better quality than I anticipated. A telecast of corps performances from Allentown will always look different because of it expansive background. Now, having no seating on the other side, even if just empty seating, plus a somewhat ugly wall design and certain items behind that, becomes a distraction in an offensive way. Yes, the front sideline was moved back when the stadium was modernized. Unfortunately, it's all too far back, now. The old viewing perspective was FAR better. Now, the camera doesn't look as much down over the corps, as it does across the heads of them. I mean, the high camera was not even able to distinguish two of Cadets tarps correctly. Stadium lighting has been improved, but it is still not as bright as other stadiums, and I sensed the area between the front sideline and the hash marks was darker than other areas. So, in general, from what I've been given by other FN broadcasts, I do believe the corps did not present as well, on video, as we have seen them on video at other facilities. For some reason, the Carolina Crown (Allentown video) performance didn't translate as well as it has from other stadiums. I really don't think it had much of anything to do with Carolina Crown, itself, not performing up to par.

Cadets DO march beautifully. They don't march out there, they flow from one place to another in perfect harmony. Just outstanding! Their new ending came across poorly. For the long-held brass chord, I seemed to hear too many players coming 'in and out.' Maybe it's all being held a little too long, even for players like these. The Appalachian Spring power was more underwhelming than I recall. I think I actually saw several members, not playing, with tubas on the ground during a part of that. Just seemed strange. I never liked the tarp inclusion from the get-go, and thought I heard the Obama "Yes We Can" repeated several times in a row. Never noticed a 'repeat' like that before. I'll have to listen again.

I have concluded, Cavaliers will get my 'Most Improved Corps Award.' They have come a very long way with that performance, and it all stands up well against whatever any corps above them is doing. Cavaliers are to be congratulated for obviously working very hard. I have great anticipation in viewing them later in the week, and many more times over the off season. If you told me Cavs finished in Second, or Third, when it's all over . . . I'm buying it!

Thank you, Cavaliers!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

Looks like the generation gap is showing again... I like the audio clips at the end. It fits the show well. I also really liked the audio clips at the end of the 2012 Cadets production. It's a shame those couldn't end up on the recording. *shrugs*

Nothing to do with a generation gap...not at all. The excellence of DCI is built around musical and marching quality....everything else should be a peg lower on the food chain, IMHO. I would be ok with keeping the "We are Americans" clip, and then get the brass and that outrageous drum line to the front (they are not staged there enough as it is)....maximize their strengths along with that sweet guard, and all is good.

I can't believe some folks are still insisting Cadets narrator isn't LIVE

He's performing LIVE!!!!!!!

His performance is lip-synced live! You never found it curious how the narrator sounds exactly the same, with the exact same inflections and space every single time? I don't mind that's its lip-synced because it is in fact his voice and he does a great job acting. However, it is lip-synced. :)

His performance is lip-synced live!

It's not hard to repeat something you've worked on with the exact same inflections and pacing. Everyone else on the field is doing the same thing (trying to replicate the "right" performance).

I've seen it live when his mic wasn't working, and you can still hear him on the stage, voicing the lines in the exact cadence used when the mic is hot. He's not lip syncing.

Looks like the generation gap is showing again... I like the audio clips at the end. It fits the show well. I also really liked the audio clips at the end of the 2012 Cadets production. It's a shame those couldn't end up on the recording. *shrugs*

It has nothing to do with a generation gap. It has to do with taste. Some people like the audio clips, some don't at all. It might "fit" the show for you, but not others. Same with the use of electronics in the Bluecoats ..... Some buy it, some don't. For instance, I do like the way Bluecoats have incorporated synth sounds into their show ..... But don't care for all of the narration in the Cadets show. I don't care for ANY of the thunderous goo, although many have fixed these issues over the last couple of years.

Please don't bring generation gap into the fold. Thanks!

Edited by BieberTpt

It has nothing to do with a generation gap. It has to do with taste. Some people like the audio clips, some don't at all. It might "fit" the show for you, but not others. Same with the use of electronics in the Bluecoats ..... Some buy it, some don't. For instance, I do like the way Bluecoats have incorporated synth sounds into their show ..... But don't care for all of the narration in the Cadets show. I don't cRe for ANY of the thunderous goo, although many have fixed these issues over the last couple of years.

Please don't bring generation gap into the fold. Thanks!

It is my opinion that it's a generation gap. Thanks!

His performance is lip-synced live! You never found it curious how the narrator sounds exactly the same, with the exact same inflections and space every single time? I don't mind that's its lip-synced because it is in fact his voice and he does a great job acting. However, it is lip-synced. :)

No, it is not. Seriously, stop perpetuating this lie. You're doing a disservice to the performer and his corps.

• Like 1