Im sorry DCI, you need to fix the scoring again

Doesn't numbers management play a role here? If a judge starts the lowest corps high, then there's less room near the top, and a higher chance of someone maxing out.

Bd is phenomenal this year, but a 100 in GE2 content at Prelims? Seems like bad management during the day

You're absolutely right on the first count, and likely right on the second...without hearing the tape we really can't know.

So, how good Crossmen, Madison, and Boston perform early on will have some bearing on whether Blue Devils break the scoring record. A bit of irony there.

You could make that argument, but the numbers will really start to matter (for the upper end push) right around Cavaliers.

• Like 1

It is a fact that a 20 doesn't mean perfect. It's part of the training for new judges, and professional development for old judges. It's not an opinion, it's DCI judging philosophy and policy. If it did mean perfect, no judge that saw even the slightest mistake could ever give one out...and that system went away after 1983.

If we had a judging system where the judges rated the corps according to the criteria set on the sheets, THEN ranked them, and we had enough decimal points on the sheets, then there would be less criticism of the numbers.

Then we could get into how the sheets are being interpreted, and also more into the specifics of what is being rewarded.

It's quite obvious that there is confusion for most of the corps, except for the wonderful Blue Devils organization, who seem to have it all worked out well, where they do everything in a way that is considered perfect to these sheets.

The other corps designers basically don't have a clue. The GE scores have been all over the place for some corps this year.

As far as design goes, it is patently clear that the WGI approach to design is what is popular.

Really funny that I remember WAY back in the day (around '92) when Bluecoats were having problems with the visual design in their Beetles show. Their visual guy was more known for WGI shows, and had written drill that came across more for that environment, and it wasn't working with the judges in the larger venues and their scores reflected this. They were worried about missing finals and there were a ton of drill rewrites for them that year.

Today, it doesn't seem like it matters how the drill is written as long as it's executed well and there are layers of things happening all over the place. Also, they have to break the large field down into a smaller area so that things can better be noticed. The focus is more on individual and small group work; I've seen the sheets, and I understand that's how they're written, interpreted, and rewarded.

Certain shows with big drill designs don't have a chance at winning that maybe would have in the past. Certain shows also won't do as well, because they don't show enough skill variety, et cetera.

I get it; designers are bored and want to try different things, it's been at the expense of other things that only a few corps now do ( elegant big drill moves).

Anyway, it's still all opinion and subjective, especially the content/Rep/Vocabulary stuff that is going to change with what is popular that year ( in WGI, 'cause they're first and set the trends)

• Like 2

Are the Blue Devils good? Yes

Should they win this year? Perhaps

Are they 2 points better than the 2nd place corps? Not on your bleeping life

I wonder how much difference it would make to change the scoring system. The sheets may change but the judges remain the same.

• Like 1

Doesn't numbers management play a role here? If a judge starts the lowest corps high, then there's less room near the top, and a higher chance of someone maxing out.

Bd is phenomenal this year, but a 100 in GE2 content at Prelims? Seems like bad management during the day

Kind of: it's also a matter of rubric on the sheets, though. You can't give someone a low score which contradicts tale verbiage & performance/design qualities because you're trying to start to maintain lower scores.

Looking at the Prelims recap, I wouldn't conclude poor numbers management as an attribute for the perfect 100 in content. Glenn gave second place Cadets 97's, which gave him numbers to play with for BD. he even had a two point spread between 3rd & 4th in design, which tells me he knew exactly what he was doing numbers management wise.

I think you said it: BD is phenomenal and Glenn thought they were that much better from a comp. standpoint to deserve a 199 in design. FWIW last night all of the Vis. judges as well as 2/4 GE judges gave BD perfect comp scores because they too thought their show comp. was that much better than #2.

• Like 1

There should be a new caption: who's show most closely resembles BD 2014.

How 'bout pullin' a surprise for the corps and goin' to the "tick" system just for this evening---without mentioning to the corps organizations themselves---as a special little treat.......

SURPRISE!!!! :tic:

.........all judges on the field except for GE.

• Like 1