It is a flaw because WE (and we're not really the common public, we're on DCP for cripes sake...) even rant and rave and discuss scores from year to year and how they compare to one another. If the system isn't about achieving that perfect score, then none of you should ever again talk about scores between seasons ever again. We're all guilty of doing it. There needs to be an understanding that the 99.65 being a "record" means jack in terms of history. Yet it's still the number one topic tonight. That's a flaw in my view.

You're reaching. Really, you are. I said nothing about the tick system, nor do I want to deduct for mistakes. Read above for why I feel it's simply a flaw that needs to be addressed somehow. Whether we start lower or something, it doesn't matter, just find a way to keep scores manageable from year to year. Because clearly, 7 judges ran out of room tonight, can't we agree there? Or were they all perfectly on their game tonight because of their psychic abilities to foresee Bluecoats or Cadets being exactly 0.5 or 0.4 back from that 20.0 number?

And Back to the Future IS my favorite movie trilogy of all-time. But only the original Jurassic Park would do for me.

Does the sum total not matter to you when it's used as the title of this topic? If it didn't matter, this would be titled "Great score!"

In summary, I get it. I do, seriously. I just have a tough time with the drastic shattering of the roof tonight. The first two nights were more feasible for me. Tonight seemed a bit over the top for no reason. I think almost everyone was shocked at the total, were you not? I could see a 99.25, or 99.35.... but wowzas, 99.65? Were they 0.675 improved tonight over last night?

Anyway, it was a fun night. But I'm not sure if this show will have close to the legacy of 5 or 6 others we could probably all name from a conceptual standpoint, but rather it will leave a legacy based purely on the derived score. I want to see a show that lives on through both. Many people in the stands (read: paying customers) felt even Bluecoats had a show that would leave a longer impression on them than BD, and that was JUST TONIGHT. Not over the course of history. I just want to feel like a show earns a 99.65 for it to see that number.

For what its worth, I don't compare numbers from year to year. I think its silly. I talk about shows across years, for sure. But I don't remember ever suggesting that a score was a way to do that.

So no, the sum total, to me makes absolutely no difference. Whether the sheets supported it or not, people would talk about numbers. Whether DCI said the word perfect or not, people would talk about it. The general public talks about stuff they don't understand all the time. Most people don't actually understand gravity. Doesn't stop them from talking about it. Also doesn't stop gravity from behaving the way it does. People can use the word perfect all they want. Doesn't change what a 20.0 on a DCI sheet means.

You're looking at these numbers as though they're benchmarks.

They're not. And they're not supposed to be.

I feel like I've stepped into an alternate reality hahaha

I feel like I've stepped into an alternate reality hahaha

The only way you could possibly compare a June 73 to an August 73 is if the exact same corps competed at every event with the exact same panel.

And even that would be a stretch.

You're looking at these numbers as though they're benchmarks.

They're not. And they're not supposed to be.

Keywords: Not supposed to be.

The flaw is they are benchmarked at every corner and turn. So much to where DCI itself uses them to speak to the public. We are in the minority on DCP. We represent about 1/1000 of the true drum corps community. How can we get the laymen to understand if we ourselves can't agree even within our small sample size?

So, to sum up this thread TL;DR

Blue Devils scored a record high tonight, but it's not really a record, because you can't really compare scores from year to year.

:augen51:

• Like 1

So, to sum up this thread TL;DR

Blue Devils scored a record high tonight, but it's not really a record, because you can't really compare scores from year to year.

:augen51:

Or...

Due to a pretty high level of performance in the top 6 this year, Blue Devils ended up with a pretty high number. DCI, knowing that the average fan doesn't care about the specifics of the scoring system, will take the opportunity to get a crap load of publicity out of it, selling it as a record score. In the mean time, professional educators, designers, and fans on DCP who choose to have these conversations will know that the publicity is just that. No "perfect" scores were given out. Instead, some numbers were pretty high due to a crowded upper box in several sub captions.

• Like 6

How about this...

The first corps to perform automatically gets a "0" in each caption being judged. As each subsequent corps performs, the judge determines how much better (+) or worse (-) they were compared to the first corps. There is no ceiling, nor no basement. Once everybody performs, the highest scoring corps in that caption has their score normalized to 100, and the corps below them are also normalized while maintaining the +/- spreads.

Example, using percussion from DCI Opening Night (6/18)

(score as they perform)

Troopers 0,0

Cavaliers +6, +7

Phantom +3, +5

Cadets +9, +10

Crown +10, +8

(after normalizing to 100 -- add 90 to both cont and achv scores)

Troopers 90,90=18.0
Cavaliers +96, +97=19.3
Phantom +93, +95=18.8
Cadets +99, +100=19.9
Crown +100, +98=19.8

Example, using the finals percussion 2 captions:

(scores as they perform)

Crossmen 0,0

Scouts +1,+2

Boston +2, +5

Blue Stars +4, +6

Phantom +3, +1

Blue Knights +6, +7

Cavies +8, +9

Crown +5, +6

Santa Clara +11, +15

Cadets +9, +10

Bluecoats +10, +11

Blue Devils +12, +12

(after normalizing to 100 -- add 88 to cont score and 85 to achv score)

Crossmen 88,85=17.3

Scouts 89,87=17.6
Boston 90, 90=18.0
Blue Stars 92, 91=18.3
Phantom 91, 86=17.7
Blue Knights 94, 92=18.6
Cavies 97, 94=19.1
Crown 93, 91=18.4
Santa Clara 99, 100=19.9
Cadets 97, 95=19.2
Bluecoats 98, 96=19.4
Blue Devils 100, 97=19.7
A corps that sweeps all sub-captions will always score a 100, but the spreads below that will be maintained. Since there is no ceiling on the initial scoring, there's less of a numbers management problem for the judges.
  • Like 1

I'm not a numbers wonk, and wouldn't know enough about or care to get into the "sheets", "spread", or other judge's jargon that drives the scores. And this is just my opinion (no science involved)..... I will simply suggest that in 2002 & 2005 the judges said "this" to the Cavies & Cadets design and performance (respectively). It was a message. I will even suggest that anything above 99 (these days) is a clear indicator of "this" by the judging community. I haven't gone back through all the years, but I bet there were plateau's for 97 & 98 that meant the same thing. And by "this" they're saying "this is more than just a winner for this year, this is a clear azimuth toward excellence & perfection in design and performance.........take note."

• Like 1

Similar to Precious Roy, why not score as you go along, like now, but then after last corps, adjust everyone evenly down or up to reflect how close to flawless the top corps was (e.g., to make room At the top of they run out of numbers)... *shrug*

Or...

Due to a pretty high level of performance in the top 6 this year, Blue Devils ended up with a pretty high number. DCI, knowing that the average fan doesn't care about the specifics of the scoring system, will take the opportunity to get a crap load of publicity out of it, selling it as a record score. In the mean time, professional educators, designers, and fans on DCP who choose to have these conversations will know that the publicity is just that. No "perfect" scores were given out. Instead, some numbers were pretty high due to a crowded upper box in several sub captions.

This!! actucker said this ....

• Like 1