2015 Predictions

BDB has showed some recordings that blow away last year from February camp. They have a really good program. Not sure what SCVC is doing but they are also one of my all time favorite corps. I also think those two corps have the best looking uniforms too.

Man it's good to see some great west coast action. Thank you Phantom Regiment & Crossmen for coming this year and also BK who come almost every year. American in Paris is my favorite Gershwin tune.

No corps reloads instructional staff like the Blue Devils. If you think they aren't planning for tomorrow, you're nuts.

I'm nuts of course. But I didn't say anything about instructional staff.

Design is another matter. How long has the current team been together?

IMO you don't just "reload" on the design side. You try to put together the magic recipe and when you find it you stick with it. When you lose a key ingredient you need to find a new recipe because you're not going to find that same key ingredient again.

Of course it's sacrilege to the BD-faithful to suggest that they might slip from the the very top. So I'm not surprised at your reaction.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Can the temporary decline of the Cavies be attributed to just one person? When they finished 8th in 2012, even their GE (music 1&2) and Music (brass (8th)/perc.(5th) were also lower.

When that guy is MG, yes.

IMHO he understands and implements "effect" better than anyone else in the business. And effect bleeds into many captions.

No, it can't be attributed to the loss of one person, they lost a series of staff ( design, caption heads, directors, et cetera) over several years starting with 2007 ( maybe earlier losses too). Losing Gaines was the straw that broke the camel's back. Luckily they seem to be on the way up. I recall that BD had percussion staff problems in the late 80s that caused them to be a bit down for several years.

Repectfully disagree. He was far more than a " straw" to the Cavaliers. IMHO his impact on the entire program was the single thing that always carried the Cavies show (sometimes in spite of other captions).

Edited by corpsband

IMHO he understands and implements "effect" better than anyone else in the business. And effect bleeds into many captions.

Repectfully disagree. He was far more than a " straw" to the Cavaliers. IMHO his impact on the entire program was the single thing that always carried the Cavies show (sometimes in spite of other captions).

MG was to Cavies as MHartloff is to Crown. Other great techs there but....

Ok, I'll bite. And I like the idea of making another prediction next month, so I may do that.

1. Blue Devils

2. The Cadets

3. Carolina Crown

4. Santa Clara Vanguard

5. The Cavaliers

6. Bluecoats

7. Blue Knights

8. Blue Stars

9. Phantom Regiment

10. Boston Crusaders

11. Madison Scouts

12. Crossmen

13. Troopers

14. Colts

15. Spirit of Atlanta

16. Blue Devils B

17. The Academy

18. Oregon Crusaders

19. Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets

20. Pacific Crest

21. Mandarins

22. Jersey Surf

23. Genesis

24. Spartans

25. Cascades

I'm nuts of course. But I didn't say anything about instructional staff.

Design is another matter. How long has the current team been together?

IMO you don't just "reload" on the design side. You try to put together the magic recipe and when you find it you stick with it. When you lose a key ingredient you need to find a new recipe because you're not going to find that same key ingredient again.

Of course it's sacrilege to the BD-faithful to suggest that they might slip from the the very top. So I'm not surprised at your reaction.

Well, they haven't slipped since they stepped on the field in the early 70's, and you can bet they are already planning for the future, so no....I am not concerned at all. And for a fun fact, the musical design team changed a bit couple of years ago and no one really noticed because the corps didn't make a big deal out of it.

Edited by Kamarag

Well, they haven't slipped since they stepped on the field in the early 70's, and you can bet they are already planning for the future, so no....I am not concerned at all. And for a fun fact, the musical design team changed a bit couple of years ago and no one really noticed because the corps didn't make a big deal out of it.

Such faith. It's almost --- religious :ninja:

• Like 1

Interesting take, which I can absolutely appreciate 100% and see where you're coming from... I simply believe that Gaines' presence and then departure was the rather large straw; yes he is a design genius. I very much miss his presence in DCI. However, when you lose Kuhn, Saucedo, Casella, Fiedler, Zuccala, AND then Gaines over a period of several years? Somethings gotta give eventually.

Interesting take, which I can absolutely appreciate 100% and see where you're coming from... I simply believe that Gaines' presence and then departure was the rather large straw; yes he is a design genius. I very much miss his presence in DCI. However, when you lose Kuhn, Saucedo, Casella, Fiedler, Zuccala, AND then Gaines over a period of several years? Somethings gotta give eventually.

Where did they all go?