2015 Predictions

Undoubtedly there are. But as we saw with the Cavies, lose a key piece and it's time to start over. Of course start over does not mean "from scratch".

Can the temporary decline of the Cavies be attributed to just one person? When they finished 8th in 2012, even their GE (music 1&2) and Music (brass (8th)/perc.(5th) were also lower.

Can the temporary decline of the Cavies be attributed to just one person? When they finished 8th in 2012, even their GE (music 1&2) and Music (brass (8th)/perc.(5th) were also lower.

No, it can't be attributed to the loss of one person, they lost a series of staff ( design, caption heads, directors, et cetera) over several years starting with 2007 ( maybe earlier losses too). Losing Gaines was the straw that broke the camel's back. Luckily they seem to be on the way up. I recall that BD had percussion staff problems in the late 80s that caused them to be a bit down for several years.

I think there should be a rule that any second string corps (BDB, SCVC...) who makes finals should have to get a unique name.

Even if it is a little derivative, like, I don't know, Azuldiablos.

Shouldn't that be Diablos Azul? :) Edited by year1buick

It should be Diablos Azules or Diablos Melancolias when they fail to win a CHP.

It should be Diablos Azules or Diablos Melancolias when they fail to win a CHP.

I'm not sure what the California Highway Patrol has to doi with this but, Eric Estrada aside, I was going for suggestive rather than literal.

Perhaps BDC could be the Little Caesars.

• Like 1

I think seeing BDB in finals with the A corps or SCVC in finals with SCV would be amazing. I think that day might not be too far away.

Taking that line of thinking to the next step, seeing a year where BDA and BDB or SCV and SCVC finish 1st/2nd in finals would make for one unbelievable season and story!

There is a local concert band competition in this area that produced a consistent winner year after year. This program is an extremely well-known program at the national level (the BOA/MFA people absolutely know these guys well). Anyway, the concert band competition committee instituted a rule that once a band wins this competition one year, the next year they cannot compete, they come back and play in exhibition - an effort to spread out the winner among other bands. Eventually, the 'B' band of this school rose to the level where it started winning in the "off-years" when the "A" band would be in exhibition. Now, this school's 'C' band is starting to make waves!

I just think that is an amazing story, and I can forsee something similar with BDA/BDB and SVC/SVCC.

Edited by Quad Aces

I think there should be a rule that any second string corps (BDB, SCVC...) who makes finals should have to get a unique name.

Even if it is a little derivative, like, I don't know, Azuldiablos.

Or maybe a very bad proposal for a rule (meaning this definitely should NOT be implemented): if a B/Cadet corps makes finals the previous year, then any member of that corps who hasn't moved on to the "A" corps (or voluntarily to another corps) will be abducted and blindfolded in the middle of the night by a DCI black ops team and forcibly shipped out to fill open spots in other World Class corps. The now-emptied B/Cadet corps will then have to train up a brand new crop of talent, or transfers from other Open Class corps.

BTW, I misread "Azuldiablos" as "Azuldi Ablos." (Didn't get parsed correctly in my head.) Maybe "Ablos Azuldi" would be a good winter guard name. :-)

Edited by ChuckH
  • Like 1