Too soon for SCV "Phantom of the Opera" reboot?

Just. Say. No.

Any Andrew Lloyd Webber uck, no! Actually no to any redux of any kind, any old show, any repeat source music. There is a boatlaod of great music that's never been done in corps. C'mon designers/arrangers, you can doooo it.

Be careful what you wish for, SCV fans. Cadets finally did an Appalachian Spring show this year - you may check out the Cadets' thread for the year to see how universally beloved it was.

Modern DCI is great at a lot of things, but not so much the things that made late-80s DCI awesome. Designers should play to the strengths of the current system and not try to recreate legendary shows from the past.

In general, I like to see new stuff on the field, that's what I thought was really refreshing about Crown last year, Bluecoats this year, ect. Stuff that is barely if not ever used in the drum corps idiom. Of course a throwback show every once in awhile is not a bad thing, see Vanguard this year, Cadets in 2009, ect. Just not every year. Different music in 2013 and 2014 for Vanguard, both great, but if we have another huge broadway-esque production with the backdrops it'll kinda start to feel like they're in a rut, see Phantom 2011 - 2014. I would say this is due at some point......but not next year. I myself am waiting for a 1997 - 2002 esque show in terms of being a little darker and VERY intense, almost angry. But maybe that's just me. Regardless of what it is, I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Perhaps they could take a page from the 2005 Blue Devils playbook, and perform the show backwards.

"Opera of the Phantom."

YOWZA!!! :tongue:

I'm not sure third time would be the charm since the second time was already the charm.

IMO 88 was the better show

• Like 4