Will BD 2014 go down as one of the greats?

I'm not really sure where you get this. The only dance they did in this show was during the ballad and, I suppose, the girls sitting around the table during the snare feature. The rest of the time, they were using equipment...flags, rifles, sabres, streamers, tambourines, etc. Much like the rest of their visual style, they don't pound you over the head with any one of these. They show an extensive variety of styles and equipment. It is one of the main reasons they have won the guard caption for the last 150 years (or something close to that).

I get this from watching them perform. They move so well when they do dance work, I think they could pull off a show with no equipment work and not get hammered for it.

I get this from watching them perform. They move so well when they do dance work, I think they could pull off a show with no equipment work and not get hammered for it.

I disagree. That would be like saying that Crown plays their runs so well, they could just do a whole show of it and not get hammered. Variety is the key in all sections. They need to show they can do it all. The ones that can (and do it all well) get the top placements. That is why some guards that look so good at what they do still don't place well...they don't do enough.

Edited by Everyfan
  • Like 1

I disagree. That would be like saying that Crown plays their runs so well, they could just do a whole show of it and not get hammered. Variety is the key in all sections. They need to show they can do it all. The ones that can (and do it all well) get the top placements. That is why some guards that look so good at what they do still don't place well...they don't do enough.

Exactly. BD's guard books have so much variety and depth. That's why they're rewarded.

• 2 weeks later...

There was actually a BD video where Scott Johnson (or someone) talked about them using fake tambourines and having a single mic'd player in the pit for the audio (presumably to fix any percussion scoring impact), but they decided not to. Good choice. It is much cooler knowing they are actually playing them and not just using them as "props".

I would hope they got a higher effect score for the guard playing multiple tambourines than they would have gotten for one player on tambourine amplified from the pit.

• Like 1

I say no. It will be remembered as a clean corps, but more people will talk about bluecoats than BD. There is not enough universal appeal IMO. I am sure that the alumni will put it up there, but honestly the only thing I can remember about this show is the hair extensions.

... and tambourines. Overall, a great production. It's one of the shows I would share to showcase drum corps from 2014. 1st for me though is Bloo's Tilt. But this one would be on my list too.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

For what it's worth...

I have already listened to this show many times more than I have any other show from this decade (2010 - now). I just love it from a musical standpoint, even if the recording I have is Prelims. Regarding comparing it to the previous record scores, I absolutely love Cadets 2005, but like this show more. I have never been a fan of Frameworks (I know, I know, crucify me) so that is a no-brainer. There are other shows in the pantheon of all time classics that I either witnessed live or cut my teeth on, but this one will go down in history as one of my favorites, if not my favorite, for now.

• Like 1

I liked 2013 far better than 2014. '86 is their top show. Mucho amor and respect for their B corps this year, however.

I thought Bluecoats had a far more memorable and innovative show.

To be fair, Bluecoats had a better "hook", in terms of something people will be able to grasp onto in years to come to remember the show. I don't think anyone who saw it will ever forget the last 60 seconds of Bloo's product this year. The pitch bend alone will ensure it is remembered for a long time to come.

In contrast, BD's show has the taller hill to climb (in terms of memorability), but that doesn't mean it won't.

I'm not saying BD 2014 won't be memorable. I just do not consider it the best of all time. In terms of innovation, 2013 was far riskier especially from a musical perspective.

I was there in '86 when they won, and the audience reaction was incredible. Talk about thunderous goo!

Regarding Bluecoats, they took the biggest risk this year, and it worked. There wasn't a moment in the show I wasn't captivated. Plus, I didn't need an explanation to understand its concept; it was plain as day.

Blue Devils, on the other hand, produced a show I've seen them do before. It was very reminiscent of 2008 and 2009. Clean? By all means, yes. Original? Compared to Bluecoats and BD 2013, that would be an emphatic no.

• Like 1

To it's biggest fans it will. But to the Drum Corps community as a whole it will be remembered along with whatever show it was that beat Star '93.

• Like 1