Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

I know what Conquest means to so many in BAC circles, however I would like to not have the staff have the albatross of the required playing of Conquest around their necks.

I'll give him my foot and an ear if BAC playing conquest gets a better response than the Bluecoats 2014 closer.

I'll give him my foot and an ear if BAC playing conquest gets a better response than the Bluecoats 2014 closer.

Bluecoats closing moments were the culmination of an overall excellent show design. The response to the final moments were in relation to the whole show, as much as anything.

No one under the age of 50 has much memory of Boston playing Conquest, so there's no reason to believe that simply trotting it out one more time works any special magic. It was quoted in this year's book (albeit in a different mode), and it was a neat nod to the past, but not enough to bring anyone out of their seat by itself.

Edited by Slingerland

Boston Crusaders weave "Conquest" into shows in a variety of ways, so it will not be an albatross around any designer's neck. Also there have been years the corps has not used "Conquest," so it would seem the corps itself has no intention of forcing it. Usually you hear a few nods to the melody, but not the entire piece with the exception of the encore. Also, as far as Boston Crusaders as an organization is concerned, identity comes not from the corps signature piece but from grit, hard work, and a love of the tradition that is Boston Crusaders. Alums also want to see higher placement at finals and respect for what the corps has been and continues to be. If playing "Conquest" makes this happen, great, of not, they'll want it canned. for the 75th, I do think most fans would want a "sure thing" similar in quality to "Red" in 2000, "You Are My Star" in 2002, or "Titans" in 2012 rather than following up "Animal Farm" with, let's say a similar Orwellian show or another trip on the dark side, but including "Conquest" in a show, while always well received, is not the hill to die on.

Bluecoats closing moments were the culmination of an overall excellent show design. The response to the final moments were in relation to the whole show, as much as anything.

No one under the age of 50 has much memory of Boston playing Conquest, so there's no reason to believe that simply trotting it out one more time works any special magic. It was quoted in this year's book (albeit in a different mode), and it was a neat nod to the past, but not enough to bring anyone out of their seat by itself.

I am UNDER 50 sir...and I actually had the distinct privilege to be in the corps during the LAST FULL RENDITION of Conquest and Captain from Castile in 1990 for their 50th Anniversary show...playing Conquest is as much important to the members of the corps as it is for the fans...Unless you've been a member of the corps...you will just not "get it"...It really is no different than the 27th Lancers (gosh I miss them) playing their trademark Danny Boy...or Madison Scouts playing Malaguena...That said, it doesn't matter to me whether they play Conquest or not to be honest...

• Like 3

I am UNDER 50 sir...and I actually had the distinct privilege to be in the corps during the LAST FULL RENDITION of Conquest and Captain from Castile in 1990 for their 50th Anniversary show...playing Conquest is as much important to the members of the corps as it is for the fans...Unless you've been a member of the corps...you will just not "get it"...It really is no different than the 27th Lancers (gosh I miss them) playing their trademark Danny Boy...or Madison Scouts playing Malaguena...That said, it doesn't matter to me whether they play Conquest or not to be honest...

Thank you, Lia, for speaking out on this. Every Corps has its' traditions, signature moves, or signature songs. And while these may or may not become important to the observer or supporter, they become most meaningful for, and ONLY for, those who have expressed the traditions, moves, or songs on the field of competition. And though I might be speaking out of turn, it is nevertheless my feeling that it is only the MARCHING alumni who deserve the right to determine what is most sacred with any given group. I never had the honor to experience marching with a Junior Drum and Bugle Corps...and though I have, and have always had my favorites, I would never begin to presume that I had a right to determine what is most truly important to those corps. In short...I never earned the right to do so. YOU however, have...and thank you for standing up for the right that you earned as marching and competing Crusader. You have my most earnest respect and jealousy.

• Like 2

Tim K said:

"I do think most fans would want a "sure thing" similar in quality to "Red" in 2000, ... rather than following up "Animal Farm" ..."

If it were the quality and dynamism of Red, very much agreed.

Last summer at CYO, "Animal Farm" was a hot topic. At that point, the show was not faring as many, including myself, hoped or expected. The kids worked that show, and those who love BAC appreciated this fact. I think most die hard fans respected the risk taken with the show, but even if it did fare better, I don't think most fans, again myself included, would want a steady diet of dark themed edgy shows. When it comes to "Red," you see for the time innovation, you also see a clean show, a great musical book, a show that is audience friendly without pandering, with overall appeal, and this is what I believe people want for the 75th, and what I believe the corps will deliver.

Boston moving their trailer down to FL for auditions let 2015 begin.

• Like 1