Favorite "Pre-Show"

The pre-show is whatever happens before the screaming, distorted announcement by Brandt Crocker. I have to edit that out so I can enjoy the track.

I have no issue with Brandt's announcements...I DO have an issue with his timing sometimes, however...14 BD and 11 Crown come to mind right off. Kinda glad 14 'Coats was pre recorded (had to be because of the tonal bending). Maybe that needs to be done for corps that need such timing on their announcements.

• Like 2

I have no issue with Brandt's announcements...I DO have an issue with his timing sometimes, however...14 BD and 11 Crown come to mind right off. Kinda glad 14 'Coats was pre recorded (had to be because of the tonal bending). Maybe that needs to be done for corps that need such timing on their announcements.

Agreed. Also note that Brandt has occasionally announced while the corps is finishing up their opening statement (see: Madison Scouts 2011, which may or may not have been intended).

I remember liking Phantom's marching pre-show warmups bitd. I think the last one they did was in '82

Here is the one from '79.

http://youtu.be/O5ZuERwCyMA?t=1m53s

I'm not really into pre-shows at all now. I look at the effort put into the pre-show and keep thinking that the time to develop/refine them could be better used to work on other parts of the show.

Not sure if you're pointing fingers at the right people. The corps decide when the announcement is made.

Not sure if you're pointing fingers at the right people. The corps decide when the announcement is made.

That's true, but if the announcer forgets that he's not the star of the show and decides to make the announcement drawn out and dramatic then you end up with a guy talking all over a show's first big hit. I noticed a few corps had their own announcements prerecorded this year. I hope that trend continues.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not talking about Brandt. It's some of the local announcers that I'm talking about. No need to give names, I'm sure most of you know of at least one.

Edited by crownisking

I kinda doubt BD and Crown WANTED him to step on their opening hit.

Of course not, but that's the risk you take when you decide to make someone else's "performance" part of your show. Corps can choose instead to structure their preshow (if any) in such a way that it doesn't depend on the announcer's timing--and remember, he or she has not had any opportunity to rehearse it with them--or they can learn how to vamp until the announcement is through (Boston did this in 2011, I think, but it only works if the corps isn't moving), or they can prerecord the announcement. Because I always prefer live to recorded, I have argued against the latter, but I am weary of doing so.