Cadets 2015

z&g.

(Z|z).g

Might as well do it with regular expressions and get every possible combination

• Like 1

let me explain something about the synth. It is a detailed and ever evolving process to get synth balances and electronic balances at the levels that even the designs intended. It's not always a matter of "just lower it" when you are trying to consider certain sounds and timbres that fit with a constantly changing production. ("Oh the brass are cut from that now? Oh there are extra counts added for an electronic sample?") We have been fortunate to see so much raw daily footage from a top corps spring training... And Surprise! It's not perfect!

People need to understand they are critiquing something that most people aren't entirely familiar with... Spring training drum corps. It's unbalanced, unproduced, unfinished, un-everything. How can we expect that after 2 reps of a brand new ensemble chunk to have perfect synth/brass balance if this was their first ever run doing it together outside!? (Literally it is) Give the synth comments a break and appreciate the exposure and inside look very rarely seen ever before.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 6

let me explain something about the synth. It is a detailed and ever evolving process to get synth balances and electronic balances at the levels that even the designs intended. It's not always a matter of "just lower it" when you are trying to consider certain sounds and timbres that fit with a constantly changing production. ("Oh the brass are cut from that now? Oh there are extra counts added for an electronic sample?") We have been fortunate to see so much raw daily footage from a top corps spring training... And Surprise! It's not perfect!

People need to understand they are critiquing something that most people aren't entirely familiar with... Spring training drum corps. It's unbalanced, unproduced, unfinished, un-everything. How can we expect that after 2 reps of a brand new ensemble chunk to have perfect synth/brass balance if this was their first ever run doing it together outside!? (Literally it is) Give the synth comments a break and appreciate the exposure and inside look very rarely seen ever before.

A-Freaking-Men.

Creating scenes on the board is probably the last thing most modern pits will do before starting the performance season. Few people realize what actually goes into creating good synth balance, and Cadets have been as challenegedc as anyone. But even the equipment and engineering/automation used changes from year to year.

Until they perform for real, no complaint about pit/synth volume and balance will have any real validity.

• Like 4

And I think what's optimistic about this show so far, regarding those doubts, is that we are not dealing with giant props or stages or narration or any of that -- just some platforms and clearly some desire to use synth music in places, maybe some counting. They also aren't trying to massage a story line like last year or the years after 2005. Thus why the optimism IMO. That and this sounds and appears to be a VERY strong corps.

Agreed, using "Ten" as the concept allows them to basically play and March without feeling obliged to tell a story. That's where they start to get hokey IMO. I'm very optimistic
  • Like 1

The timbre will never work. It does not work. Yes I do work with synths on the side.

I love reading the give and take of differing opinions. I hate reading posts that tell people to shut up.

• Like 2

Is anyone else having sound problems when trying to replay the periscope video's from Hopkins. The last 2 days I get the video but no sound.

Is anyone else having sound problems when trying to replay the periscope video's from Hopkins. The last 2 days I get the video but no sound.

Are you listening from iPhone?

I love reading the give and take of differing opinions. I hate reading posts that tell people to shut up.

Well I don't like posts that twist people's words around so they can hate on something they didn't do or say. But that's always the lowest form of discussion on these forums...

Edited by charlie1223