Cadets 2015

No. I heard the problem was they disapprove of using amps and electronics with LB music.

Most amateur theater groups and schools use amps and synthesizers and "West Side Story" and to a lesser extent "On the Town" are still favorites with schools and community theater groups, so my guess is electronics had nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

In all correspondance I have had regarding usage of Bernstein's music, it has been in their worry that the music is not being used in the way it was intended, as in cutting and pasting, medleys, etc.

If you read through the notice that is available in the copyright portion of the Bands of America website, it alludes to this.

As for the use of electronics and amplificiation, I have never seen or heard that. Anyone who know's anything about Bernstein knows that he was not afraid to use new devices and technology, so I seriously doubt that. Anyone who has seen or heard Mass and other later works would realize that he used electronics and amplificiation in his own pieces.

Edited by tesmusic

Most amateur theater groups and schools use amps and synthesizers and "West Side Story" and to a lesser extent "On the Town" are still favorites with schools and community theater groups, so my guess is electronics had nothing to do with it.

"WSS" was just on Broadway; it was micced up and amplified. My daughter-in-law was one of the stage managers on that production. "On The Town" is currently in previews to open shortly...also micced.

My guess is the poster was being facetious. :cool:

• Like 1

Wait, did my smiley face emoticon not come through? Sorry, Internet friends

• Like 2

Yes, I was being silly. The real reason is they don't like narration.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

This may be repeating rumor, and I apologize if so, but I always understood it was Troopers "Western Side Story" that caused the Bernstein trust more upset than the Cadets' vesrion. Or maybe it was a perfect storm of the two?

Mike

I loved Troopers version. While listening to it there were many times when the thought "Interesting and Cool!" came to mind - and that was just for the arrangment not to mention how great the rest of the show was.

At New York's Lyric Theatre, "On The Town" starts with the audience on its feet with a great arrangement of "The Star Spangled Banner".

This may be repeating rumor, and I apologize if so, but I always understood it was Troopers "Western Side Story" that caused the Bernstein trust more upset than the Cadets' vesrion. Or maybe it was a perfect storm of the two?

Mike

No. I heard the problem was they disapprove of using amps and electronics with LB music.

I thought it was Carolina Crown blending Somewhere with Somewhere Over The Rainbow in 2009.