Cadets 2015

I thought it was Carolina Crown blending Somewhere with Somewhere Over The Rainbow in 2009.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of everything mentioned. Personally that hit in their ballad annoyed me a ton. Let the phrase for somewhere be completed before skipping on into somewhere over the rainbow!!! I was left itching for more of "Somewhere" by the end.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a combination of everything mentioned. Personally that hit in their ballad annoyed me a ton. Let the phrase for somewhere be completed before skipping on into somewhere over the rainbow!!! I was left itching for more of "Somewhere" by the end.

I agree. I doubt it was the use in just one program in one way.

They're smart people who have seen and heard tons of different arrangements over the years. I'm sure that there was a great deal of thought put into it, and many reasons why.

Edited by tesmusic

Hey, I know it's typical for the grandparents to chat about their grandkids (Garfield>Star of Indiana>Carolina Crown),

but back to the OP topic,

Hopkins did say in the Q&A that the stripes would not be returning for '15. The interesting point is that the question is coming from the current membership, just like the challenge about velocity drill, etc. and not from the old timers of Holy Name or the dinosaurs of DCP. How much Hopkins actually listens to those who are actually paying his salary with their tuition, volunteering, and fund raising efforts amongst others will be interesting.

Oh yea, the Grandkids did great in Japan (courtesy of the video posted on DCI facebook.) Somewhat reminded me of BITD given the size and make-up of the ensemble plus the outside arena which could have been Wacona Park in Pittsfield, Mass. or Clipper Stadium in Columbus, Ohio from Cadets history. Well done.

Edited by xandandl

I always thought that the stripe on the pants looked amazing. George Hopkins said they really can cause visual dirt when the marchers are changing angles and directions at different times depending on drill design. I can understand that and the fact that Cadets are really the only group that marches with light color pants that exposes everything, I can see the concern BUT, they tend to be the strongest marching corps most years so I think they would work out the kinks if they decide to use them.

• Like 1

Anyone else have the notion that reasons other than Drum Corps are why rights holders are stingy on giving permission or don't share at all? Sorry but gotta laugh that some are looking at particular corps shows for a reason and problems could be totally outside the corps world (yeah there is such a thing).

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

I can understand that and the fact that Cadets are really the only group that marches with light color pants that exposes everything, I can see the concern BUT, they tend to be the strongest marching corps most years so I think they would work out the kinks if they decide to use them.

Phantom (and Madison this year) would like to have a word with you... :tounge2:

Mike

Oh yea, the Grandkids did great in Japan (courtesy of the video posted on DCI facebook.) Somewhat reminded me of BITD given the size and make-up of the ensemble plus the outside arena which could have been Wacona Park in Pittsfield, Mass. or Clipper Stadium in Columbus, Ohio from Cadets history. Well done.

Waaaay OT (ish), but that was where I first saw drum corps, marched in that stadium 4 years in marching band State competition, and marched there my age-out year of drum corps. While that stadium is absolutely awful for drum corps on so many different level (weird side note: the parking lot is next to a cemetery), I will always have fond memories of that stadium & drum corps show. The sideline was not flush with the stands, and instead was at an odd angle so if a member found themselves lined up with the bleachers they were likely facing the wrong way.

Also, I saw Don Mattingly play there. As well as Derek Jeter and other Yankee HoF'ers when The Clippers were the Yankee AAA affiliate

Waaaay OT (ish), but that was where I first saw drum corps, marched in that stadium 4 years in marching band State competition, and marched there my age-out year of drum corps. While that stadium is absolutely awful for drum corps on so many different level (weird side note: the parking lot is next to a cemetery), I will always have fond memories of that stadium & drum corps show. The sideline was not flush with the stands, and instead was at an odd angle so if a member found themselves lined up with the bleachers they were likely facing the wrong way.

Also, I saw Don Mattingly play there. As well as Derek Jeter and other Yankee HoF'ers when The Clippers were the Yankee AAA affiliate

OT...I saw a show there in 94 while on a business trip. Went to a Clipper's game,and they advertised a drum colrps show the next night, so I came back for that. Sat next to two women who were area mujsic teachers who were pretty much underwheilmed except for the Cadets, who I was also underwhelmed with, as the 94 WSS was, IMO, not a great show. They expected the corps to be better than they were.

The corps at the show were the Cadets, Crossmen, Colts, Bluecoats, Glassmen, Northern Aurora.

Not THIS decade. The last two VERY good guards were 2003 and 2005 (their last guard win). They were incredible in the 1990s.

I have actually never watched a cadets show before 2000, well there is a first for everything.