Cadets 2015

Makes sense, and it's cool that Bernstein's estate seems reasonable: they have parameters and if an arranger upholds them the estate is happy & grant's permission. I wonder how many submissions they get a year?

On the judge side of this, I'm appreciative of parameters & high standards to arrange Bernstein literature

It simply comes down to Bernstein's estate not wanting a cut and paste arrangement that is very common in a lot of shows. They want to make sure the pieces do not lose what they are.

Madison used music from On the Town in 2011, and Bernstein's music has been given permission recently, but again, they want to make sure that you don't get 30 seconds of this, then 15 seconds of that, etc.

I contacted Boosey and Hawkes for a score I am working on of a Copland piece, and the cannot grant me permission until the transcription is complete and performances are set-up.

Just people making sure that the original intent of major works are not being bastardized. Not to say that the Cadets would do that, but that is the intention of the publishing and rights holders.

• Like 1

There was another thread, or was it earlier in this one, where this was discussed. You can arrange Bernstein's music, under certain parameters. I arranged a show for my band a few years back using selections from both "Chichester Psalms" and the "Mass". They sold us the rights...we had to do the charts very true to the originals, and we had to send them the scores. We sent them, and then never heard anything back, so I guess we were OK (this was 2009, I think).

It would make sense that the trustees of Bernstein's legacy would want composer's intentions followed since this was important to Bernstein as a conductor of other composers. Whether his recorded music reflects this is another matter that has nothing to do with drum corps. I worked at a record store (LP's, cassettes, and something we thought would probably not catch on, the CD) to earn extra Christmas money while in college. I recommended a Bernstein recording to a customer and another customer let me know I was an uncouth, uneducated brute.

• Like 1

It simply comes down to Bernstein's estate not wanting a cut and paste arrangement that is very common in a lot of shows. They want to make sure the pieces do not lose what they are.

Madison used music from On the Town in 2011, and Bernstein's music has been given permission recently, but again, they want to make sure that you don't get 30 seconds of this, then 15 seconds of that, etc.

I contacted Boosey and Hawkes for a score I am working on of a Copland piece, and the cannot grant me permission until the transcription is complete and performances are set-up.

Just people making sure that the original intent of major works are not being bastardized. Not to say that the Cadets would do that, but that is the intention of the publishing and rights holders.

Drum corps arrangers would bastardize original works?

I feel this show was inspired by Tekk's avatar

Let's just hope the Program logo is a little more spectacular than my avatar...

Edited by 2000Cadet

Was that meant to be "Climb Every Mountain?"

You mean you don't know "Climb Very Mountain?" Those were Hammerstein's original lyrics, but no one could read his handwriting.

Just kidding..."Climb Very Mountain" is proof that we should always proofread before we post.

• Like 1

If I am not mistaken, the Leonard Bernstein estate is not looking all that favorably on drum corps (and most likely bands too) arrangements of his works, so Cadets may have no choice when it comes to Bernstein's music.

Considering THOSE arrangements of that latest WSS show, I can totally understand why the LB estate wouldn't want their music butchered like that...

You mean you don't know "Climb Very Mountain?" Those were Hammerstein's original lyrics, but no one could read his handwriting.

Just kidding..."Climb Very Mountain" is proof that we should always proofread before we post.

In addition to being a very apt indictment against "spell check." In spell check, that would have been seen as containing no errors.

Edited by HornTeacher

This may be repeating rumor, and I apologize if so, but I always understood it was Troopers "Western Side Story" that caused the Bernstein trust more upset than the Cadets' vesrion. Or maybe it was a perfect storm of the two?

Mike

No. I heard the problem was they disapprove of using amps and electronics with LB music.

😄

• Like 2