Cadets 2015

per staff members and sponsorees I spoke with this weekend:

The plan for the 6 days is to begin learning the newest "new" drill for the closer which music has already been learned.

A small segment of the ballad will be tweeked even further.

Some slight "adjustments" to other areas to be applied.

Special attention being given to the battery in the 226 section so that all remain vertical while flying.

Guard is being worked.

Won brass without Wayne Dillon btw. Wayne gave them 3rd in music analysis, which seems to put the conspiracies to rest...

There's a reason they won Brass last night, and it's not because of Wayne Dillon. The brass line is actually F*$KING GOOD.

• Like 9

yes - the closer music is learned

the remaining drill is supposedly over 30 pages - so that alone takes 2 or 3 days to learn and get music put to it

they also have other changes to put in... so it will be a few busy days

not sure if we'll see the new ending this coming weekend - I suppose if it on the field and can be safely performed we will

corps is in good shape and vet laden - so changes can happen quick and we have to remember it is only week 1 in July - so lots of season left to make additional changes

some more drill and music changes also in the works no doubt...

• Like 2

yes - the closer music is learned

the remaining drill is supposedly over 30 pages - so that alone takes 2 or 3 days to learn and get music put to it

they also have other changes to put in... so it will be a few busy days

not sure if we'll see the new ending this coming weekend - I suppose if it on the field and can be safely performed we will

corps is in good shape and vet laden - so changes can happen quick and we have to remember it is only week 1 in July - so lots of season left to make additional changes

some more drill and music changes also in the works no doubt...

I'm sure the new ending will be in the show this weekend.

There's a reason they won Brass last night, and it's not because of Wayne Dillon. The brass line is actually F*$KING GOOD.

I agree Cadets brass is #### good. As is BDs.

Wayne Dillon historically tends to place Crown a little further back than most brass judges. I don't think it's a conspiracy -- just an observation. There are definitely judges who tend to score some programs a little higher or lower than others in their caption.

Personally I just write it off to "judges have preferences too". Sure they do their best to compensate for them but IMO those preferences do bleed through into their scoring. Just the way it is.

There are always judges that any given program "likes" to see and "hates" to see on a panel.

Just reality.

• Like 1

From what I've heard thus far, it's a toss-up between Cadets, Blue Devils and Crown in brass. Hopefully going into finals it truly is an "any given night" situation.

They are all exceptional and have different strengths.

Sometimes on tour MMs can feel tired and go into learning changes with a reticent or dubious attitude.

NOT THIS TIME!

The members asked for a velocity ending last year in their end of year evaluations. The admin and staff have been talking to them about it since first camp in November.

Those I spoke with in person this weekend consistently spoke of excitement with the music, responsibility to the audience and corps' legacy, and enthusiasm for the challenge.

I'm sure you'll agree with the hopes that if the reality meets the hype it will be a great moment for audience and members alike.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Wayne Dillon historically tends to place Crown a little further back than most brass judges. I don't think it's a conspiracy -- just an observation. There are definitely judges who tend to score some programs a little higher or lower than others in their caption.

curious is that sort of "your impression" or have you actually looked at the numbers through the years?

Also - I've seen Crown 2x live now this year. My impression is the line isn't as deep and strong as prior years. Really obvious in sections of the show - the ensemble sound is still very impressive. Personally I think they play loud well, but too long. Soft is a struggle. JMO

• Like 1