Cadets 2015

There is no doubt that Cadets drumline ran an amazing show! Crab step from 20 to 20 at 180 playing oom-budda-GAK-go, oom-budda-GAK-go, oom-budda-GAK-go, oom-budda-GAK-go with a power so strong that I can still hear those shots driven into my brain now nearly a day later.

BD was loose, smooth, nuanced. Cadets was driving a 16-penny nail into my head with two hammers playing diddled-32nds. I was stunned by the Cadets performance from the first show. BD was chocolate cake. Cadets were two-day old roast beef beaten with a wooden hammer.

I was shocked by the quality of both and, as much as I loved watching BD's laid-back calm, I was mesmerized by the boys in black, easily the most difficult drill-adjusted demand of the two.

And don't get me started on SCV's drumline... I think Johnny Walker scotch - Red. Smooth as silk with just a little after-bite to remind you of its intent. Very drinkable.

I don't understand drumming but those analogies were beautiful.

• Like 1

There is no doubt that Cadets drumline ran an amazing show! Crab step from 20 to 20 at 180 playing oom-budda-GAK-go, oom-budda-GAK-go, oom-budda-GAK-go, oom-budda-GAK-go with a power so strong that I can still hear those shots driven into my brain now nearly a day later.

BD was loose, smooth, nuanced. Cadets was driving a 16-penny nail into my head with two hammers playing diddled-32nds. I was stunned by the Cadets performance from the first show. BD was chocolate cake. Cadets were two-day old roast beef beaten with a wooden mallet.

I was shocked by the quality of both and, as much as I loved watching BD's laid-back calm, I was mesmerized by the boys in black, easily the most difficult drill-adjusted demand of the two.

And don't get me started on SCV's drumline... I think Johnny Walker scotch - Red. Smooth as silk with just a little after-bite to remind you of its intent. Very drinkable.

Such diverse percussion books and musical/physical demand among the top 5 sections! I found that BD and SCV had tremendous intensity where the chart required it, and the Cadets had wonderful nuance in places where McNutt penned it. Gordon Goodwin and Shosty are, like, different musical universes, but the kids were all true to musical styles while throwing down licks that would send wannabe lines (I'm thinking of Top Secret) to the wood shed :-)

how many 2015 age outs? Anyone know?

I was a little surprised by how small the age out group appeared. It looked like a lot of guard but lighter among the instrumentalists

Congrats to the MMs for being, to my ears, the best hornline, drumline, and marchers in DCI this year. No one was close.

The drumline deserved the Sanford, but that trophy doesn't take into account the physical demands of the drill placed upon the line. BD's percussion didn't have half of the drill demand as was placed on Cadets' line. Sorry, BD, but that's the objective truth if you watch the video.

The quality of the performers of Cadets 2015 will go down as one of the very best, even better than a few years that did win gold, in my opinion. They really did outperform the show design by a good measure.

Any "disappointment", as Hop said, should be laid at the feet of the design team.

Agreed. The kids super exceeded their responsibilities. Shame on that design team for squandering such talent. Hopefully they are beefing up that design team with some new eyes.

how many 2015 age outs? Anyone know?

I was a little surprised by how small the age out group appeared. It looked like a lot of guard but lighter among the instrumentalists

GH said it was a big group. A ton of those 2012 rookies aged out.

Maybe Chris, but when you see the talent across the board the Cadets get every year, they should be keeping pace with BD and in contention to win each year, not hoping to medal. If GH really cares about the kids, he would assemble an outstanding design team (which he almost has), and step back and give them freedom to design. He's a percussionist, not a designer. Look at the show designs of Crown and Bluecoats? Amazing stuff and we're doing Z-pulls from 1983. And hire a new Guard caption head already and let that person bring in his own people. Cadets have greater resources than most corps. Cadet Guards used to be amazing. The kids are great but the design team. Not so great.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Maybe Chris, but when see the talent across the board the Cadets get every year, they should be keeping pace with BD and in contention to win each year, not hoping to medal. If GH really cares about the kids, he would assemble an outstanding design team (which he almost has), and step back and give them freedom to design. He's a percussionist, not a designer. Look at the show designs of Crown and Bluecoats? Amazing stuff and we're doing Z-pulls from 1983. And hire a new Guard caption head already and let that person bring in his own people. Cadets have greater resources than most corps. Cadet Guards used to be amazing. The kids are great but the design team. Not so great.

Didn't Cadets guard place 2nd last year and had a bunch of vets returning this year?

Didn't Cadets guard place 2nd last year and had a bunch of vets returning this year?

Last year they opened the show with a large beautifully executed guard feature and they cleaned very well. This year the staging was non existent. They were in the drill booking the entire 10 minutes and the book was overwritten and never achievable. Even the final push in the closer will all flags had the same kid straight in the back half a count behind everyone else. At least make show the big easy stuff is clean. That's a staff issue. Edited by Tobias

I'm guessing they bring Marc Sylvester back into the fold, he assembles new movement, choreography and guard teams and works with Jeff on "staging" the non-traditional drill moments in next years show

Someone else mentioned (in another thread I believe) Cadets going the Symphonic route next year as a good idea. Savanna River Holiday, Aspen Jubilee, Sonoran Desert Holiday, etc.. etc... mixed in with some other Nelson. Or an American West type show with some Dances with Wolves mixed with Copeland - a mash up.

Edited by George Dixon