Cadets 2015

It's incredibly frustrating that in a musical activity you can win all the musics but finish 4th. It's time the sheets were revised to restore balance to the Force.

Mike

My thoughts, too. Here we have Cadets winning brass and percussion, yet they can't even finish top 3. They got crushed in visual proficiency (5th in achievement). Not sure I'm buying that number. And their music analysis number should have been higher.

Having said that, I just feel the demand is almost TOO high that in the end you just can't get it perfectly clean. The Shostakovitch symphony also presents a problem for them because it lacks the emotional connection that we see if Crown's music, or even BD and Bloo, but it certainly has the technical demand. That coupled with a guard book that wasn't well integrated led to some bad GE numbers.

When the Cadets have been at their best in years past, they were still top 3 in brass and percussion, but they had that world class guard under April, and they'd beat you in GE. So odd for me to see them struggle with guard and GE.

Big picture, they were truly fantastic this year, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. Congrats, Cadets!!! Go for it tonight!

• Like 5

I think it's odd too with them winning brass and percussion and only placing 4th in GE. Those captions seem to be based more on actual performance where GE is based more on a feeling someone gets from the show which is more subjective. Let's face it, judge or not, everyone has opinions and likes and dislikes and you can't totally eradicate them when you're judging. That's why some judges are putting Crown first and then BD first in the same competition. That's what makes it so hard. In the end, some of it all comes down to human opinion. It's not like playing a sport where a touchdown or field goal wins the game. These corps aren't battling each other head to head. They are performing one at a time and the judges have to assess what they saw 10 minutes earlier and try to compare it to what they are seeing now. It's all opinion and because of that none of us will ever completely agree on results.

I'm disappointed too with the Cadets dropping to 4th last night. Can't say I am surprised though with the way things have been progressing the last few weeks. Back in the winter when I heard the recording of the music they were playing this year, I was so excited thinking they really were going to do something this year. Not taking away anything the other corps are doing. I really was impressed with the Bluecooats and Crown and love both their shows but my heart always goes back to the Cadets because they were the first corps I saw win championships in 1993 and that sticks with me. I just want to see them succeed (win some more championships).

P.S. I know success isn't just based on winning championships but it doesn't hurt.

Edited by sched88
  • Like 1

I've figured out why the corps was dumped last night in GE and Visual while doing so well in Music.

Those particular judges weren't good math students! That would, also, explain the smattering of people who fail to understand the emotional connection of the show. Math is hard! It brings back bad memories of word problems, binomial coefficients, and determining the area of a circle. This is their revenge for all those humiliating times at the chalkboard in algebra class. That's why Inferno and Ink are doing well. Those judges were (GASP) lit students!!!! :silly:

(DISCLAIMER: Please note this post is tongue in cheek. Please don't take it too seriously.)

• Like 1

Can anyone find the most recent GE 2 number for G. Fuggett in regard to Cadets. I'm particularly searching for where he ranked them most recently in relation to the other 3 contenders? (I've already gotten my info. for the rest of tonight's panel.)

Edited by denverjohn

Can anyone find the most recent GE 2 number for G. Fuggett in regard to Cadets. I'm particularly searching for where he ranked them most recently in relation to the other 3 contenders? (I've already gotten my info. for the rest of tonight's panel.)

http://www.frontensemble.com/Judge/GFugett

I can assure you Cadets will be in front of Bloo tonight with his G.E. You can call me out if I'm wrong, but I will not be.

http://www.frontensemble.com/Judge/GFugett

I can assure you Cadets will be in front of Bloo tonight with his G.E. You can call me out if I'm wrong, but I will not be.

Ah finally, we have a supposed Cadets "hack." Glad to see BD isn't the only corps with apparent fans among the judges

I'm a new poster and never marched at this level, but I have a music background and have been following DCI since '82. I think the isuue of this year's show with regards to ultimately capturing the masses in GE is all about "accessibility." The show is not perfect - NONE of them are. But 10 is a piece of visual/musical art that is stunning and pushes the envelope for performance in music and drill. Whether you buy into "10" or not - from the French horn feature out, there has never been another show from any other corps that places the simultaneous, vigorous demands on the performers. The dark, brooding, almost disturbing feeling I get from this show is simply transcendent of the art form. You won't be seeing that kind of vision and reaching beyond the present out of BD any time soon - no matter how many times they win. But the demands on the viewer are also substantial. Not everyone has the capacity to enjoy the nuance of Shakespeare in the way that the masses embrace Stephen King. So I will suggest that The Power of 10 is to Othello, what Crown's Inferno is to any of the Andrew Lloyd Webber blockbusters of the last 35 years. So you have to expect that the popularity and scoring will go Crown's way. (I've always felt that BD's shows were impeccably executed performances of gaudy, cluttered, and sometimes downright visually overdone designs. I'm tremendously intrigued by the direction Bloo is going!)

BTW, I love Inferno this year and have immensely enjoyed its evolution. It is the performance that I will show to friends who are new to DCI, as a "gateway drug" to the activity. But once they understand how the art form works, it's all Cadets in realizing how to transcend the form and move heart, mind, and spirit.

I'd love to see a Cadets 2nd tonight. But I can certainly live with 3rd in this field. While I understand BD's execution, I rarely can abide a loss to bad taste in visual show design.

I'm a new poster and never marched at this level, but I have a music background and have been following DCI since '82. I think the isuue of this year's show with regards to ultimately capturing the masses in GE is all about "accessibility." The show is not perfect - NONE of them are. But 10 is a piece of visual/musical art that is stunning and pushes the envelope for performance in music and drill. Whether you buy into "10" or not - from the French horn feature out, there has never been another show from any other corps that places the simultaneous, vigorous demands on the performers. The dark, brooding, almost disturbing feeling I get from this show is simply transcendent of the art form. You won't be seeing that kind of vision and reaching beyond the present out of BD any time soon - no matter how many times they win. But the demands on the viewer are also substantial. Not everyone has the capacity to enjoy the nuance of Shakespeare in the way that the masses embrace Stephen King. So I will suggest that The Power of 10 is to Othello, what Crown's Inferno is to any of the Andrew Lloyd Webber blockbusters of the last 35 years. So you have to expect that the popularity and scoring will go Crown's way. (I've always felt that BD's shows were impeccably executed performances of gaudy, cluttered, and sometimes downright visually overdone designs. I'm tremendously intrigued by the direction Bloo is going!)

BTW, I love Inferno this year and have immensely enjoyed its evolution. It is the performance that I will show to friends who are new to DCI, as a "gateway drug" to the activity. But once they understand how the art form works, it's all Cadets in realizing how to transcend the form and move heart, mind, and spirit.

I'd love to see a Cadets 2nd tonight. But I can certainly live with 3rd in this field. While I understand BD's execution, I rarely can abide a loss to bad taste in visual show design.

tumblr_inline_n4foafra0C1sew80h.jpg

Pro-tip: It is very possible to compliment, hype up, and express your enjoyment for a corps and their performance without having to put others down.