Cavaliers 2015

So far this is what I've gathered from this thread:

1. The quality of the show logo is somehow indicative of the quality of the playing and marching in the show.

2. Talking about athleticism means they are going to "hose" brass parts.

3. This could be really good or really bad.

I'm set to wait and see the show until I pass judgement, I definitely won't pass judgement on a show from the LOGO of the show. 15 Minutes of Fame didn't know what it wanted to be. They had so many things going on (all the musical selections) and the "idea" behind that theme was just too esoteric and hard to present. The explanation behind this show makes it sound like they are just giving a name to this to have something for the announcers to say when introducing them, not so much a story or anything like that.

Worked for Coats last year.

• Like 3

1. The quality of the show logo is somehow indicative of the quality of the playing and marching in the show.

3. This could be really good or really bad.

I'm set to wait and see the show until I pass judgement, I definitely won't pass judgement on a show from the LOGO of the show. 15 Minutes of Fame didn't know what it wanted to be. They had so many things going on (all the musical selections) and the "idea" behind that theme was just too esoteric and hard to present. The explanation behind this show makes it sound like they are just giving a name to this to have something for the announcers to say when introducing them, not so much a story or anything like that.

Worked for Coats last year.

Well said!

Hey, I'm just going by Cavies' history. All their popular winning shows have taken this approach. In the end, I'm just speculating like everyone else.

As for the logo, I don't think it looks "cheap" or any of that stuff that other people have mentioned. It looks pretty cool in fact. I just think it looks like the theme is about video games. That's all.

• Like 1

Hey, I'm just going by Cavies' history. All their popular winning shows have taken this approach. In the end, I'm just speculating like everyone else.

As for the logo, I don't think it looks "cheap" or any of that stuff that other people have mentioned. It looks pretty cool in fact. I just think it looks like the theme is about video games. That's all.

Technically speaking "hosing" a brass part would mean they took a previously written part and watered it down. Since most all those shows were original music they didn't hose anything, those were the original compositions. This means they played the original brass parts without hosing it! :-)

• Like 1

When I first learned about "On the Shoulders of Giants," the first thought I had after watching the Cory band on YouTube was that it was amazing that the band didn't spontaneously combust when they finished the piece. I still don't understand how they made it through all those runs in one piece - was this the product of CGI effects?

That being said, the fact that Cavie's staff have chosen such a difficult piece speaks volumes about the confidence they have in their members.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 3

I meant in terms of how they approach GE and design. The concept of this show seems out there just like 15 minutes of fame so I'm just a little skeptical on how they'll approach it.

I totally appreciate what you're saying and I will say that I HOPE not! I think they have learned a bunch from that 15 Minutes of Shame experience. If anything I think this show lends itself to be more conceptionally designed like XtraordinarY from what they've written.

I've heard some of the music and they're sounding quite good so far. I've also been a critic of their recent musical arrangements, but this year is a good start. Of course, individual tastes may vary, so I'm just speaking to what I like. I HATED the early season arrangements last year until they started layering and refining; by the end of the season, I felt they were respectable.

• Like 1

I get what you're saying.... The Block 3D text and color scheme does remind me of something like this:

118124206134.png

I hope they don't go here again ( Think 15 Minutes of fame, and I'm joking...):

$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcSrHBQP!ly5Ljg~~60_35.J

The writing does remind me of:

LeeSchulz-StandardShadedSlab-2012AL.gif

Perhaps they could have gone with something like:

Mens-Crusher-Game-On_26541_2_lg.png

At the end of the day, we don't know where they're going with this show idea, so I'm just gonna sit back for the ride just like I am for the rest of the corps.

Edited by jjeffeory

That being said, the fact that Cavie's staff have chosen such a difficult piece speaks volumes about the confidence they have in their members.

I'd love to see the brass play the tough passages, but it might end up with the pit. Difficult music, but easier for the pit.

They could use a small ensemble to handle the really fast stuff and the rest of the line could play more backing stuff. and the pit could also carry a lot of it too.