Carolina Crown 2015

You know what else I saw in that video? A lot of standing around and sitting. :)

They have to show a lot of different skills.

• Like 1

Anyway, sometimes I seem to be the only DCP member who really liked Crown's 2014 production (an overgeneralization), but of the fifteen drum corps neophytes I took to last year's Massillon show (thirteen adults and two kids), asked when the evening concluded to name their favorites, as I recall, picked "Out of This World" and "Tilt" in equal numbers (with "Scheherazade" following up). Last night's video indicates a solid framework to me, and I expect it will be quite spectacular by summer's end.

• Like 1

This is just a guess, but presumably the guard is not portraying Beatrice herself but Dante's image of her, since she's not in Hell.

Unless of course, they're changing the story.

Maybe they're doing the video game version of Dante's Inferno?? Or even Orpheus???

I'm still expecting something of a costume change for the end of the show.

• Like 1

Anyway, sometimes I seem to be the only DCP member who really liked Crown's 2014 production (an overgeneralization), but of the fifteen drum corps neophytes I took to last year's Massillon show (thirteen adults and two kids), asked when the evening concluded to name their favorites, as I recall, picked "Out of This World" and "Tilt" in equal numbers (with "Scheherazade" following up). Last night's video indicates a solid framework to me, and I expect it will be quite spectacular by summer's end.

We agree :-)

I think a lot of us are used to seeing Crown come out with a pretty complete product, this year's isn't. Which isn't a bad thing. I haven't read a lot of stuff that isn't fixable with some changes. Of course some people won't like it regardless which is fine, but IMO they need to do three things:

- Layer the Story/Theme.

- Change the Closer.

- Edit some things.

The Brass is good as always, the guard looks like it could be one of their best, and the percusion is helluva lot better in writing and performance already (We'll see how they progress).

Last night's video indicates a solid framework to me, and I expect it will be quite spectacular by summer's end.

This. To me it looks like there's LOTS of places to add/develop/change. If they fix that closer and layer the theme this show could be dangerous IMO. I'm going to at least give it a chance. Was surprised when I woke up this morning to see all this going on. I just think they have some things to iron out, and they're not unfixable things like last year. I'm not going to tell anyone else to do anything but I'm going to give this some time to develop.

People are entitled to their own opinions. Not their own facts.

I like that. May I borrow? I'm sure I can use it many times in DCP!
  • Like 2

Maybe they're doing the video game version of Dante's Inferno?? Or even Orpheus???

I'm still expecting something of a costume change for the end of the show.

That's what I'm thinking. If you watch a video of the performance, at the end a guard member and a brass player are doing some choreography in the bottom right side of the field

Edited by JoshClements403

What I love about this year's show that I hated about last year's show is the potential of what it can become. The designers have a good foundations that can be directed into many possibilities both musically and visually. Last year with all of the almost immutable props on the field, the options for changes and fixes were very limited. I like the more straight up less gimmick approach the designers are taking this year. This gives Crown the ability to add layers upon layers to what they have now. It will be interesting to see where the show is in a month from now.

• Like 1

By that argument, woodwinds should have been used in drum corps for a long time now, since a vast part of what drum corps played was originally written with prominent woodwind parts. Or, if it's only the title that matters, neither SCV nor Cadets should have played Adagio for Strings using brass.

I think a better way to phrase it is "Why not use the authentic sound if the tool is available?" I hope it gets turned down considerably, but that's an ensemble issue that they have not spent a whole ton of time on as they really have been trying to get the show on the field. I'm sure by July there will by some better semblance of balance there. The nice part is they're using the brass choir sound to fill the role of the organ in the ballad.

Opinions are neither right nor wrong. In my opinion electronics and amplification are not drum corps.

Opinions can be misinformed. They often are. You see it every day in mainstream media and politics on both sides. People see what they want to see and largely look for ways to use observations to reinforce their viewpoints (simple comfort vs. discomfort argument).

Re: your description of "not drum corps" - I think people are just misinterpreting you. I think you're more like the Belgian chocolate maker that says in a particular tone that Hershey's is "not chocolate." That tends to rub people the wrong way (which you may or may not care about, but you're on a discussion board, so you're going to hear about it either way). However, amplification is part of the makeup of current corps design, performance and evaluation (now we're going ~meta~), so it is drum corps, at least for now, and since its introduction to the activity. Whether or not you agree that it should be is a wholly different story for a wholly different topic, time and place (for the four-hundredth time, or so).

BD marches! That's like saying Britney spears can sing.

The current iteration of The Concord Blue Devils has overwhelmingly set the standard for visual performance and design for a decade, following the precedent set before by what the Cavaliers were doing in the early 2000s, and so many countless others before. That's not something I consider an opinion, it's an interpretation of scoring trends.

Also, let's not forget that there's more than "marching and maneuvering" on the sheets - drum corps are asked to perform a very, very wide set of skills and a varying repertoire over their allotted performance window. A simple glance at the sheets, especially those already completed by judges, is pretty strong evidence of this. Again, whether you agree that this should be the way it is does not much matter, because it is the way it is, at least for now.

Lastly, leave Britney alone. :)

Edited by CrownLeadSop
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the preview. There are some wonderfully heartbreaking moments. The battery is much improved, and I enjoyed the drum feature. Guard was en fuego...get it?

I know a new ending is probably in the works as that is Crown's modus operandi, but the one used in the preview creates emotional and intellectual confusion. If we're to abandon all hope why are we joyful? Are they doing Inferno or an amalgamation of Inferno and Paradiso? It just seems forced.

Just asking an honest question. Please clarify for me please.