Carolina Crown 2015

In the latest DCI Podcast, Cesario refers to Easter morning at the end of Crown's show. I suspect they will follow the ending that Dante wrote. I'm guessing we will see some reference to stars from the guard at the end...

They pass through the centre of the earth (with a consequent change in the direction of gravity, causing Dante to at first think they are returning to Hell). The pair emerge in the other hemisphere (described in the Purgatorio) just before dawn on Easter Sunday, beneath a sky studded with stars (Canto XXXIV).

Edited by MPutnam

I almost feel like the first part of the show up till the ballad is supposed to be hell, the ballad is supposed to be purgatory, and the closer is heaven

fyi the Reader Digest version- The Beethoven Preshow is the start of Dante's journey through the forest, then enter through the "Gates of Hell" in (ironically with a composition called the "Gates of Hell") with no specific part a specific section of music per "Ring of Hell" but are grouped together until the "Ode to Joy" moment being the resurfacing on Easter Morning.

I have a feeling that this will become more and more clear over time.

I have a feeling that their actual closer might do that. Tempt us with Ode to Joy and then bring us back to hell

Yep, tempt us and then bring us back to where we belong. Edited by Anstig
  • Like 1

Anyway, sometimes I seem to be the only DCP member who really liked Crown's 2014 production (an overgeneralization), but of the fifteen drum corps neophytes I took to last year's Massillon show (thirteen adults and two kids), asked when the evening concluded to name their favorites, as I recall, picked "Out of This World" and "Tilt" in equal numbers (with "Scheherazade" following up). Last night's video indicates a solid framework to me, and I expect it will be quite spectacular by summer's end.

Nah you're not the only one. Crown 2014 is in my signature for a reason. Musically it was one of the best shows in my opinion last season.

Nah you're not the only one. Crown 2014 is in my signature for a reason. Musically it was one of the best shows in my opinion last season.

Well, honestly, that show was freaking fantastic. People weren't too fond of a "sequel show". For lack of a better word, that's what it was. Was it good? Hell yes. Was it as good as the people who beat them? No. They still should have won brass. The whole trumpet "Jupiter fanfare", as they coined it, was just brilliant.

I have a feeling that their actual closer might do that. Tempt us with Ode to Joy and then bring us back to hell

Sounds like the plan. The Ode to Joy presentation has subtle hints of dissonance. Even the flag colors are not cheery so probably setting us up for the pull back into darkness. I like the show. Love the dark banner in the beginning g and the red banner almost simulating a firey hell. Guard is going to be just stunning. The dark uniforms can be drab and make the corps look smaller and the drill doesn't help that as it seems cluttered in many places but that's from a vid from row 10 in the bleachers so I'll get a better read Wednesday. Ballad is beautifully done.

Well, honestly, that show was freaking fantastic. People weren't too fond of a "sequel show". For lack of a better word, that's what it was. Was it good? Hell yes. Was it as good as the people who beat them? No. They still should have won brass. The whole trumpet "Jupiter fanfare", as they coined it, was just brilliant.

Agreed. That brassline was in-freaking-credible.

...and who knows what they have planned for the real ending...

perhaps a large banner - this time coming from the back over the corps - and the drill changing to a crown while the corps is hidden beneath it ... that would probably set the crowd on fire!

Edited by ashevillemurphy
  • Like 1

Sounds like the plan. The Ode to Joy presentation has subtle hints of dissonance. Even the flag colors are not cheery so probably setting us up for the pull back into darkness. I like the show. Love the dark banner in the beginning g and the red banner almost simulating a firey hell. Guard is going to be just stunning. The dark uniforms can be drab and make the corps look smaller and the drill doesn't help that as it seems cluttered in many places but that's from a vid from row 10 in the bleachers so I'll get a better read Wednesday. Ballad is beautifully done.

This sounds exactly as I had pictured it in my head, as well. One thing I genuinely feel is that this is going to be a good year for crown in the GE department, as well as visual. Crown isn't exactly known for their visual strengths. Sure, there are some baller things, but in general we see a lot of spacing issues at times, and some people just don't commit to the visual. This show is already showing more visual promise than last years. Last year was kind of yucky in terms of individual visual performance. Most notably is during, and directly after the ballad.

However, with those criticisms mentioned, I will say that Crown has serious visual and GE potential this year. Serious potential. With that said, they were 7th on percussion I think in most sub-captions. Their percussion now is already cleaner (as mentioned before) than finals night '14; the staff change was extremely beneficial.

Tl;dr Crown is looking great. Better percussion, better visual, better GE. As always, brass is just fine.

...and who knows what they have planned for the real ending...

perhaps a large banner - this time coming from the back over the corps - and the drill changing to a crown while the corps is hidden beneath it ... that would probably set the crowd on fire!

You're good! That would be a great way to show they got out of hell! Imagine if they could pull off the drab black unis, form a Crown with the old cream ones whe under the banner?! Edited by Tobias