Carolina Crown 2015

I'm kinda confused... I really wanted to love this show... and I simply don't. It's good, but not great... and great is what I have come to expect from Crown. One has to wonder if their window has closed for a while... E=Mc2 was lightning in a bottle and a tough act to follow.

• Like 1

I did love this show. Holy brass line, Batman! It sure didn't feel like a 6th place drum line. However, it feels like the last two years the design has tried to shoehorn the battery front and center, and it seems counter to common sense. You have one of the best brass lines on the history of DCI. That should be the start and end of the focus, you know? (And I'm even a drummer saying this)

I sure hope they put their preseason recording out soon - this one will get serious replay in my car.

I hope the videographers tonight catch a similar p.o.v.

Oh no you don't.

Brass is magical and guard is great. Captions seem to be outperforming the show. They're on to something but not there yet. It will be worked out.

Hornline is amazing, color palate great, bunch of great ideas....

Drums sounded pretty good too.

So far the show's a little flat right now to me, but the person I went with liked them the best.

I'm kinda confused... I really wanted to love this show... and I simply don't. It's good, but not great... and great is what I have come to expect from Crown. One has to wonder if their window has closed for a while... E=Mc2 was lightning in a bottle and a tough act to follow.

Agreed.

I did love this show. Holy brass line, Batman! It sure didn't feel like a 6th place drum line. However, it feels like the last two years the design has tried to shoehorn the battery front and center, and it seems counter to common sense. You have one of the best brass lines on the history of DCI. That should be the start and end of the focus, you know? (And I'm even a drummer saying this)

I sure hope they put their preseason recording out soon - this one will get serious replay in my car.

2013 was sort of a masterpiece of design, in the way they used the brass to hide the drums. But plainly they are not willing to keep writing their shows that way. So for good or ill this year, the drums are a focal point and they're going to have to rise to the occasion.

I really like that they are tackling more musically complex repertoire this year. And I love what they've done with pretty much all the source material. Unfortunately I think they still come off pretty monochromatic at this point - it's always angry. Even the Ode to Joy sounds angry. In fairness, even professional orchestras and choruses struggle to make the end of the 9th sound "joyful" rather than "aggressively chaotic". I do see the potential - I can imaging this show being extremely effective if they figure out how to really communicate the dramatic arc with the chosen music.

What happened?

Red fabric that they use to cover the hornline in the ballad got twisted and didn't cover the whole hornline like it's supposed to. While taking the fabric back to the sideline, it got caught on a couple horns and nearly tugged the horns out of the players' hands. I'm sure they'll get it worked out next time.