Carolina Crown 2015

You guys think the changes to the ending will be enough to propel Crown up a spot or two in scores? They're killing the captions, just need that bump in GE to be competing for these 1st/2nd spots night to night.

Perhaps but the issue is EVERYONE is yet to put their real ending in so if all move up to the next level of greatness simultaneously, it doesn't affect placement. We'll see but honestly, Cadets, Crown and Coats are three powerhouses so it's great to go to shows where they are all there!

Perhaps but the issue is EVERYONE is yet to put their real ending in so if all move up to the next level of greatness simultaneously, it doesn't affect placement. We'll see but honestly, Cadets, Crown and Coats are three powerhouses so it's great to go to shows where they are all there!

You're kind of arguing "all things being equal" but perhaps things are not so equal.

I think the impact of the "new ending" can vary dramatically. In some cases it just a little polish on perfection. In other cases it can resolve "issues" with the show.

IMO Crown could see the greatest net increase from a "new ending" only because the current version is a pretty lackluster placeholder. There are other minor issues throughout the show with pacing, energy and balance but all those are kind of "ordinary" fixes. IMHO they need to "fix" the ending right away (even if that means rolling out the "new ending" much earlier than they planned.

• Like 1

The only thing that could make the preshow to drum feature transition more goosebumpy is Brandt Crocker's voice in the space right before the "Abandon" fabric.

I wish they would just prerecord it like a handful of corps did last year. Why even chance it with a live announcer who couldn't care less if he gets the timing right or not?

• Like 2

You're kind of arguing "all things being equal" but perhaps things are not so equal.

I think the impact of the "new ending" can vary dramatically. In some cases it just a little polish on perfection. In other cases it can resolve "issues" with the show.

IMO Crown could see the greatest net increase from a "new ending" only because the current version is a pretty lackluster placeholder. There are other minor issues throughout the show with pacing, energy and balance but all those are kind of "ordinary" fixes. IMHO they need to "fix" the ending right away (even if that means rolling out the "new ending" much earlier than they planned.

Cadets ending now is also a place holder but I agree with you that Crown can do much more layering with their show to add effect than Cadets. Edited by Tobias

I wish they would just prerecord it like a handful of corps did last year. Why even chance it with a live announcer who couldn't care less if he gets the timing right or not?

Because Brandt Crocker takes pride in his work and is a legend. Hearing his voice in the preshow in 2009 was one of my summer highlights.

Cadets ending now is also a place holder but I agree with you that Crown can do much more layering with their show to add effect than Cadets.

It's a place holder but it's not a bad place holder either. It ends the show appropriately. They can obviously change it up and add more and more to it to make it even better but Crown's ending right now just doesn't work, period. Most of the time new endings really don't affect scoring too much (again that's MOST of the time) as they'll be dirty initially anyways which will offset any gain you got from having the new ending. Obviously, it will pay off in the end but by then everyone else has the final endings in too so it's just a battle of the shows, not the closers. In Crown's case though, I think a new ending can really help GE scores as it's just very lackluster right now and providing almost no effect except for a negative one.

Because Brandt Crocker takes pride in his work and is a legend. Hearing his voice in the preshow in 2009 was one of my summer highlights.

But he only does regionals and championships. What about all the other shows with random announcers? Why not have a recording for all those other shows?

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree when it comes to Brandt. Yes, he's a legend, and I respect the man and his work, but I think he's past his prime...but that's a conversation for another thread.

The addition of the wormhole effect in 2013, combined with the voice over "Everything must have an end, Except my love for you" as the guard member "climbed through" is what really brought together the closer for that year IMO. That one addition just blew my socks off in terms of GE.

• Like 2