The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

6 hours ago, Lance said:

I've spent the past few weeks getting lost in Britten's works.  What a feast, and so much for a good arranger to play with for DCI, and I think stuff like this would work well as a percussion feature too. 

That would be great for 2-7 … oh wait … ####

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt anyone would have the guts to put this on the field anymore, but i can dream.

[stares in the direction of Concord]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IThe music from "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" would make a great show. Written by Tan Dun, the film features Yo Yo Ma throughout. Gorgeous ballad. It is being released in theaters again, as one of the stars, Michelle Yeoh, is now a huge star. Also starts Chow Yun Fat and Zhang Ziyi.

I arranged music from it for the marching band I taught, back around 2010. It worked well, esp the amazing cellist we featured.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’d really like to see Regiment explore more of Bernard Herrmann’s work. Magnificent Ambersons, The Devil and Daniel Webster, Citizen Kane. “Salambo” from Citizen Kane could make a very effective ballad.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

If and when Troop ever wants to get off their 'dark western frontier vibe' again.

20 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Just became aware of this artist and album, and there is some beautiful, unusual, interesting -- and fun -- music here. 

Abel Selaocoe, "Where Is Home"

Checked this out today.

Lemme endorse it as well.  It's a wonderful mesh of Western instrumentation with Southern African vocalization, harmonization, and use of rythmn (and unrythmn..for lack of a better word for what this is in African music).  

• 3 weeks later...

Such a GLORIOUS piece by Handel and hope to hear it at Chuck's coronation Saturday.  Seems made for Drum Corps especially when the voices hit.  Kingsmen could have pulled this one off.  Has a corps ever played it?