Sorry, I saw about 5 minutes of the Bluecoats vid at the Indy. It was really all I could stand.

Just way way too too much electronics, too too much unrecognizable music. It, to me, was just plain boring.

Reminded me of Crown 2013 Part 2.

It's a pretty long season. I remember seeing Crown 2010 at the first show of the season. Everyone agreed they would win in August. They were a powerhouse like I never saw in June. Wound up in 4th in August.

It is weird how we have different perceptions of things. I remember in 2010 seeing Crown, Phantom, and Bluecoats in Charleston, West Virginia in the first show of the year. One of the high school drummers said to me "Crown is going to win it all this year" to which I said, "Crown won't even beat Bluecoats at Finals this year. Not enough depth and way too clean already."

Sorry, I saw about 5 minutes of the Bluecoats vid at the Indy. It was really all I could stand.

Just way way too too much electronics, too too much unrecognizable music. It, to me, was just plain boring.

Unrecognizable music is a bad thing...? Huh. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'll take new music every year over corps blurting phrases from Simple Gifts and Phantom of the Opera every few years.

• Like 5

Unrecognizable music is a bad thing...? Huh. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'll take new music every year over corps blurting phrases from Simple Gifts and Phantom of the Opera every few years.

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 2

Glad it wasn't just me that thought of that! I, too, remember the part of Crown 2013 where they used incredible echo effects through speakers and the highly effective use of selective area playing to create echo effects and the colorguard spun in large gyroscope and....oh wait...

Don't quit your day job, hyperbole isn't your strong suite.

I disagree with the solid identity to point. An identity (heavy brand) can also be crippling. The fact that Bluecoats have lacked that heavy identity has actually been a positive for them. They have been free to explore many paths throughout the years. As a result, they have produced a wide variety of excellent shows. Be careful of what you wish for!

I really don't think two years is enough to "brand them." This is also an extreme use, as opposed to relatively mild use in the past

Edited by THeShadeOfNight

I was really excited to see Coats show this year. Although hesitant due to the show being about "noise" (bad connotation for me when discussing music) I was ready to see them build on last years innovative use of electronics. Unfortunately, I feel like they went WAAAAYYY too far with it. There was some neat stuff in there for sure, but overall I felt like I was being screamed at for 12 minutes, especially in the opener. I would've preferred to see them find different ways to use just the horns to portray some of the ideas instead of relying 100% on what a button can do. I hope they find a way to tone it down a bit to be less intrusive and shrill so they can expose the talent of the members more, but as it stands Im kinda disappointed.

• Like 1

For the general public, i.e., those people whose ticket sales are going to foot the bills, too much unrecognizable music might indeed be a bad thing. A few of the people I've introduced to drum corps by treating them to the Massillon show have expressed dismay at not recognizing any of the music.

For the general public, i.e., those people whose ticket sales are going to foot the bills, too much unrecognizable music might indeed be a bad thing. A few of the people I've introduced to drum corps by treating them to the Massillon show have expressed dismay at not recognizing any of the music.

My mom is one of those, went with me last night and it was one of two shows she said she really liked. Can go either way I suppose.

Edited by DrumManTx

He may also mean that it's "unrecognizable" as in "unrecognizable as a musical melodic structure". Similar to how people complained that BD didn't play much "recognizable music" between '09-12, just a bunch of stuff hodge-podged together.

At some point in everyone's life, they were exposed to music they had never heard nor recognized before. The argument that a corps plays unrecognizable music makes no sense to me because corps could possibly introduce people to music they've never heard, and perhaps....LIKE!

• Like 1