First off, the marching members foot WAY MORE of the bill that covers costs for each drum corps than do the fans. Secondly, the activity must first be about the marching members. It also needs to be about the fans, the art form, current times, teaching good literature, and so much more. Melodic music will always play a role in drum corps, but so will dissonance, minimalist music, atonal concert music, art song, folk, rock, pop, etc. It is an uneducated viewpoint for fans to think that all the corps should please them or perform music they like. That's arrogant and it ignores the fact that none of us has the same tastes. As fans we must learn that the shows we hate or, even "boo," are shows that others may love--including the kids who are marching and performing said show. It's ok to hate a show, but it's never OK for a person to think their taste should be everyone's taste. DCI fans should want to be educated, but if they are unwilling to try new things and broaden their tastes, then they can at least be polite enough to know that others see things differently.

I know that you don't think this way, but I wanted to be clear about assuming what the mass amount of people want to see.

Sorry but N.E. Brigand was right, as evidenced by the crowds that Drum Coprs used to garner in the 70's and early 80's as compared to the miniscule crowds they garner in comparison today. And I call BS on your claim that the members contribute "WAY MORE' of the costs for Drum Corps than fans do, either by donating directly or through ticket sales. 150 members paying $2,000 is $300,000.00. It probably takes at least triple that amount to run a modern corps for a season these days.

• Like 1

I always wondered what DCP would be like in 1993, now I know. The show may not win, but like Star, it will be talked about more than who won. If you watch The Social Network, Justin Timberlake's character Sean Parker (Created Napster) said it didn't matter that he made no money from it, what mattered was that he changed the music industry permanently.

That's what Star did in 1993 for Drum Corps and Bluecoats have the potential of doing so win or lose. Don't forget how Rondo introduced Star of Indiana on the live telecast....Its happening already.

PS I have been waiting for a revolutionary show for many years and I feel I have seen it.

Crown has certainly drifted into the background now as the torch bearer for the Star of Indiana. Now its apparently the Bluecoats that carry the DCI torch for a Corps that up and quit DCI over 20 years ago. ( unbelievable how things can turn on a dime, imo )

Sorry but N.E. Brigand was right, as evidenced by the crowds that Drum Coprs used to garner in the 70's and early 80's as compared to the miniscule crowds they garner in comparison today. And I call BS on your claim that the members contribute "WAY MORE' of the costs for Drum Corps than fans do, either by donating directly or through ticket sales. 150 members paying $2,000 is $300,000.00. It probably takes at least triple that amount to run a modern corps for a season these days.

I really don't think you can attribute corps playing less familiar music to the decline in Drum Corps crowds. There's way too many variables at play to make such a claim.

• Like 2

Looking at each corps' financials on Guidestar.com can be very interesting (for those interested in total revenue vs. budget when looking at what the marching members pay vs. the fans, vs bingo, donors, camp fees, sponsors, and much more).

And yes, the decline of fans at some shows, and the number of shows, is largely due to other factors with the economy, insurance, busing costs, laws, schools doing more with kids in the summer, overall cost of travel, costs to run shows, and on and on. It's not because of melody or lack thereof.

Edited by jwillis35

error: repeat post

Edited by jwillis35

I hope I'm not the only person who thinks that Crown and Bluecoats have hornlines that are, tone-wise, so far above everyone else it's not even funny.

• Like 1