Housing: the corps killer?

Isn't there still thousands of trailers, paid by those of us who pay taxes, left over from Hurricane Katrina?

Oh sure. The corps' caravans already take half the night to fill up at the truck stop. Just imagine how many trailers gimping through for 200 folks moving show site to show site.

Oh sure. The corps' caravans already take half the night to fill up at the truck stop. Just imagine how many trailers gimping through for 200 folks moving show site to show site.

If in fact there are thousands stored somewhere, position them all over the country for temporary use by all kinds of groups as they move around the country.

Anyone have connections with Walmart?

Funny you should mention Walmart. When my son first marched drum corps with Racine, they had to spend the night out under the stars in a Walmart parking lot. I don't recall the circumstances if this was planned or just Plan B. (Edit: Transportation issues). But, it's one of his favorite drum corps stories.

Edited by CrownBariDad

If the school board has allowed the drum corps access to facilities, then by all means the employees are mandated to comply. Does it mean they will roll out the red carpet? Maybe, maybe not. We stayed with amazing schools and not-so-amazing schools as I'm sure we all did.

However, my post should've stated that there is nothing stopping a gym teacher from petitioning their board NOT to allow a corps to stay. The entitlement I was referring to (poorly it would seem) was the notion that schools be obligated to open their doors to drum corps. This isn't so. The responsibility is on the drum corps entirely, not the school, district, etc.

The policy allowed me to choose whether or not to allow groups to use my classroom. This was during the school year (solo/ensemble for example) so it would be a little different over the summer. But sports can be year-round

CCorps:

Your district allows you a certain latitude which certainly is not universal practice.

Any public "push back" from said faculty member//janitor such as petitioning the board from negativity as you mention also makes the individual teacher vulnerable to litigation if reputations are impugned as "evidence" to support your entrenchment about "your" personal fiefdom. It can become very messy both ways unfortunately. This is particularly possible when the corps, band, or guard's request is endorsed by district members who are taxpayers who pay said faculty salary through the district/school.

Though I don't know of any current situation like this, I do know what has happened in the past and what has happened with other activities that were not drum corps, band, or guard. The judge arbitrating the legal case awarded financial penalties to those impugned; in lieu of money payments, the teacher had to donate community hours to the non-profit youth activity he maligned.

Edited by xandandl

Another problem with using schools, especially in my district, is that churches and other sporting groups have moved into the gyms and cafeterias on Saturdays and Sundays from 8a-1p.

I sure we are not the only ones working with this type of situation.

Our schools district is very busy to begin with but this year it is in the midst of celebrating its 50th anniversary and there is always something going on 7 days a week. We work around it, but it doesnt lend itself to a smooth flowing weekend.

Logistically, not the best situation to have practice on a Friday night and Saturday then move everything for Sunday.

Makes us think outside the box at times.

That being said, we will be ready for the summer.

There is a lot of interesting stuff in this thread. I know housing was discussed during the kerfuffle in the south a couple of years ago, but I had no idea what corps and TEPs face when it comes time to secure housing.

I also had no idea about the associated cost involved.

Reading about churches using school space reminds me of other problems that might impact housing and rehearsal use. In the1980s Westshoremen practiced Sundays on an island in the Susquehanna River with Harrisburg on one side and smaller communities on the other. IIRC there was to be no music until 1PM as the local churches were complaining. And if we hadn't complied..... rotsa ruck finding an alternate location on short notice. Nothing like noise complaints from neighbors at a housing/practice facility to hurt the chance for coming back the next year.

Edited by JimF-LowBari