2014 Use of Electronics

I think it's awesome how one dude on the electronic gizmo can drown out an entire low brass section with vibrating thunderous goo ! That's progress!! Keep on evolving fellas.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

I think it's awesome how one dude on the electronic gizmo can drown out an entire low brass section with vibrating thunderous goo ! That's progress!! Keep on evolving fellas.

I dunno, there were a whole lot of hornlines back in the day that would have sounded a lot better had they been drowned out...by pretty much anything.

• Like 4

I think it's awesome how you've mastered vapid hyperbole

PROGRESS!! :thumbdown::wall::lle:

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 3

Buicks drowned out by a skinny kid pounding a synth keyboard....now that's an aural tragedy, imho.

• Like 2

Pls remove dup post

Edited by brichtimp

I agree. I really don't understand his critique of Bluecoats' show either. Maybe, as he seems to be implying, my ear is not "sophisticated" enough to realize how apparently awful the Bluecoats show was.

I don’t know if you were in that thread or what you may said there and "sophisticated" is not a word I’d use for ears nor do I understand your use of quotation marks. Not that I care

Someone said the Bluecoats ballad sounded like a choir. Everyone in that thread gushed about the magic of the hornline, that they were that good. I saw them, heard the choir thing and thought, wow, they are being supported by such a heavy choir patch it steps on the brass sound….then thought back to that thread and chuckled that no one picked up on it here. So maybe it’s a massive success that so few heard all the synth pumped into their ballad but to me it’s , if you didn’t hear that then…

Anyway synth is getting a free pass, I’m mainly focusing on Music GE and the Bluecoats

They could set up a PA and sound check it then each corps could plug their mixing board into it but the sponsors wouldn't be too keen on it and since that’s driving the G7 which is driving DCI, that won’t happen. We’ll continue to get rough sound so we can see the advertisements …but really, it’s about the kids and education

You go ahead and call up a professional sound team and ask them if they could set up in a venue the size of even a high school football and guarantee that every single seat in the house gets good sound. Oh, don't forget they have about 5 minutes to do ALL of their set up. Oh, and they are also mixing electronic instruments against DIRECTIONAL brass instruments, so they're shooting at a moving target any time the brass changes facings. OH, and I almost forgot, they only can use equipment that would fit on a truck, so you're talking about maybe 4 different locations for speaker placement max.

Good luck with that.

Funny part of this is that the person being responded to CAN ask a professional sound team those questions.....

Buicks drowned out by a skinny kid pounding a synth keyboard....now that's an aural tragedy, imho.

Where/when was this? Phantom 2014?! I don't remember not hearing their low brass because of synth I'll have to check the video

I'm with you on everything but the brass facing part. The fact that the brass section is made up of directional instruments makes mixing the audio easier, not harder. Additionally, brass sections almost exclusively face the box...which is where the mix is ultimately made from (and when they do not, it's generally for effect...facing backfield or in some either direction).

I see your point, but the fact that the brass can (and do often) change their facings and the speakers (which are also directional) do not does present a separate set of challenges not often faced be even professional sound engineers. Even when dealing with a jazz or rock band with a horn line, there's a mic for the horns, and they are instructed to play into that mic so that the engineer has control over the mix. Keep in mind that even 15º vs horns to the box, or flat front vs focal point makes a difference in where the sound is headed.

Point being, expecting perfect sound in every seat is not reasonable, and wasn't reasonable even before electronics were introduced into the mix. Even Carnegie Hall has seats where the sound isn't all that great.

I don’t know if you were in that thread or what you may said there and "sophisticated" is not a word I’d use for ears nor do I understand your use of quotation marks. Not that I care

Someone said the Bluecoats ballad sounded like a choir. Everyone in that thread gushed about the magic of the hornline, that they were that good. I saw them, heard the choir thing and thought, wow, they are being supported by such a heavy choir patch it steps on the brass sound….then thought back to that thread and chuckled that no one picked up on it here. So maybe it’s a massive success that so few heard all the synth pumped into their ballad but to me it’s , if you didn’t hear that then…

Anyway synth is getting a free pass, I’m mainly focusing on Music GE and the Bluecoats

They could set up a PA and sound check it then each corps could plug their mixing board into it but the sponsors wouldn't be too keen on it and since that’s driving the G7 which is driving DCI, that won’t happen. We’ll continue to get rough sound so we can see the advertisements …but really, it’s about the kids and education

A sound check is a completely moot point the second you unplug one mixer and plug in another.