Fan Network 2015

This is OT (for the first time ever in DCP history), but if an individual corps found a business model that allowed it to operate on a for-profit basis, does this mean they could not compete at DCI?

No, it doesn't mean that at all. It means that any income that for-profit corps entity received from DCI would be taxable, that's all.

Jeez.. I was mistaken... put the knives away folks...

But Garfield... having zero at the bottom of a balance sheet has nothing to do with being "non-profit". Am a member of a "non-profit" club that has $1M in the bank at times and couple $100K at end of year for expenses.

Oh surely. DCI is a $12mm organization that spends something like $8mm or $9mm of that on expenses, then returns the balance to the member corps.

One of the recent mandates was for DCI to build a $500m account balance net of the annual expenditures. I don't think they've reached that goal but I doubt the IRS would challenge filing status based on having a sizable account balance at the end of the year.

it's a matter of never. two drastically different charters and philosophies. DCi can't claim to be for youth if they have groups with 40 years old in it.

sure they share the platform ( at least as of now, have not head anything about DCA changing). yes some people teach and judge both places. I know some DCi judges that refuse to do anything with DCA. They realized it was best for business to work together, but in terms of a merger, some serious behind the scenes changes, right down to bylaws and charters would have to change.

Depends on what kind of "merger", for one thing.

Also, have we established that a change is even necessary? Where does it say "youth" in the DCI bylaws or other fundamental documents? Looking at the way SoundSport is evolving without an age limit, and how all-age corps participate in field shows already, I see nothing precluding the type of operational merger that DCI has already conducted with regional circuits like Drum Corps Midwest, Drum Corps East, and so on.

Now that enough DCI people are involved in the DCA circuit, I would not be surprised if such an offer is on the table. Therefore, if DCA ever decided that it is no longer worth the time or money to run their own operation (or if the circuit goes belly up), it is possible they could work out an agreement for DCI to run things for them as a separate division, sort of like open class.

Getting back on track, I've noticed that my FN subscription now runs through mid-June.

Your subscription was extended? Free? Until June?

Wait, this wasn't supposed to happen. The evil DCI would never treat its customers so well!

Some wanted a personal email of apology, some wanted rebates of fees paid, some wanted Dan Acheson to kiss his royal... (OK, I made that last part up.)

"Hey, let's give them real value, not an apology. Let's be magnanimous. And let's realize it's silly to sign fans up to the new old subscription when we're going to launch the new new one shortly. I wonder if that will satisfy them?.." -- DCI BOD and staff

</sarcasm in this whole post>

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

To be clear, I never asked for an apology, chocolates or a kiss. All I asked for was a status and I believe we at least have some of that with the post on the site. I did ask for an email, but not an apology.

We all just want to know where Fan Network stands. At least it is still online. More than can be said for many other platforms over the years.

They both are already sharing network platforms, instructors, judges, and doing mutual shows together and so forth. So all the signs of a future merger down the road are there for those paying attention to these shared developments. Plus, the elimination of duplications is always an attractive model for those who want appropriate economies of scale.

Just one small point...

Outside of the network part, junior and senior corps were doing those things before DCI ever came along, actually.

To be clear, I never asked for an apology, chocolates or a kiss. All I asked for was a status and I believe we at least have some of that with the post on the site. I did ask for an email, but not an apology.

We all just want to know where Fan Network stands. At least it is still online. More than can be said for many other platforms over the years.

Yea, I know. But you were part of a rising chorus that can border on a pitch-fork mob and I wonder how the mob will now act.

Plus, I couldn't resist the chance to throw a Molotov cocktail into the crowd.

:tounge2:

So what do you guys think the new platform will be? Youtube? Vimeo?

Youtube does already have paid subscription channels... and youtube can be played from every device and smart TV out there.

• Like 1