Is size a factor in World Class corps?

I've always wondered so I figured I'd ask: is size usually a factor when deciding who to contract for world class drum corps? Is there a particular height or weight that's considered ideal? For instance, would someone small or thin have less of a chance at making hornline (even if they're remarkably fit)? I've always been curious, as most people in drum corps appear to be mostly of the same figure. Maybe it's all the working out.

I think there are some corps that are definitely looking for a certain "look"... BUT, the look is often fairly flexible, and if you are in shape you will have a good shot. I don't think someone small would be at a disadvantage unless it hurts their ability to execute the physical aspects required of them.

I think there are some corps that are definitely looking for a certain "look"... BUT, the look is often fairly flexible, and if you are in shape you will have a good shot. I don't think someone small would be at a disadvantage unless it hurts their ability to execute the physical aspects required of them.

That's a pretty fair assertion. A really large person is going to struggle with the physical demands of drill and choreography, as well as the simultaneous responsibilities that members of the top three or four world class corps require. They will have far less of an issue with those demands the lower down the placement ladder they go.

Physical health, and that includes size/weight/mass or whatever terms you want to use is *incredibly* important to today's corps. That doesn't mean there aren't corps that won't accept large members, it's all a matter of what they can achieve and what they can't.

If you look at corps videos from recent years, you'll usually see a corps or three that has someone in the brass/percussion sections small of stature. The BD had a fairly young guy (15?) begin marching with them and he was not tall.

Make sure your fitness is good and your actual stature won't be an issue I think

Within reason. I think one reason Brandon Olander didn't march BD before last year was he's still a small guy and may not have been able to hang with the drill (his hands are a different matter).

Yeah...he marched Academy in 2013, but their drill is NOT like BD's.

Within reason. I think one reason Brandon Olander didn't march BD before last year was he's still a small guy and may not have been able to hang with the drill (his hands are a different matter).

Yeah...he marched Academy in 2013, but their drill is NOT like BD's.

Brandon had great hands when he first auditioned. The main concerns were age, and physical demands / stamina. Along with show visual, just the whole "drum corps summer tour experience" is a type of marathon. They wanted Brandon in the line, but it wouldn't be any good if it led to harm. I believe Academy had a lower average age, but would provide touring experience to give him a read on how his body would respond.

Edited by c mor

I've always wondered so I figured I'd ask: is size usually a factor when deciding who to contract for world class drum corps? Is there a particular height or weight that's considered ideal? For instance, would someone small or thin have less of a chance at making hornline (even if they're remarkably fit)? I've always been curious, as most people in drum corps appear to be mostly of the same figure. Maybe it's all the working out.

g9luxk92j2hka8kzg.jpg