DCI Minnesota - 7/11

Minn. scores seemed a tad low, maybe 1. point and the show out west looked to be high, I think Crossman are still in there.

• Like 2

Minn. scores seemed a tad low, maybe 1. point and the show out west looked to be high, I think Crossman are still in there.

On Tuesday, we get Blue Stars, Crossmen, Troopers, and Academy at the same show. Colts, Spirit, and Boston will be at another show.

We should get a fairly good picture of how these corps all line up right now... you will be able to use Boston to compare Colts / Spirit to Blue Stars / Crossmen by looking at the spreads from Saturday and Tuesday. And likewise, you will be able to use Blue Stars or Crossmen and their spreads to Troopers / Academy to see how Boston compares to Troopers / Academy.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 2

Oh, I can fix that for you; get married. :smile:

Then she'll stop yelling at you and start ignoring you. :wall:

If only ...

• Like 1

The thing I think people forget is that scores are not absolute. There was a time, when dinosaurs roamed the field, when that wasn't the case. Trained adjudicators would look for mistakes, total them and subtract them from 100. But that's been gone for more than 30 years.

Todays scores only hqve meaning when compared to other groups performing in the same show. That's why I have trouble with people saying the scores from any particular show were too high or too low. As compared to what?

Also, taking last night for example, if Bluecoats were in Minneapolis, each judge would have had to place them in each caption, meaning some corps might have bumped up or down a bit in each caption. Everyone would have had a different score. It's a highly dynamic system.

Having said all that, I do agree with WVU80 that the judging community is reliable enough that you can get a decent idea where corps sit even at different shows. After last night I think Coats are right in the thick of it for the win. Maybe this week will prove me wrong, what do I know?

At the end of the day, I think we are in the midst of an epic season where very few corps are having a down year. This is a fun one.

Edited by StuStu
  • Like 1

On Tuesday, we get Blue Stars, Crossmen, Troopers, and Academy at the same show. Colts, Spirit, and Boston will be at another show.

We should get a fairly good picture of how these corps all line up right now... you will be able to use Boston to compare Colts / Spirit to Blue Stars / Crossmen by looking at the spreads from Saturday and Tuesday. And likewise, you will be able to use Blue Stars or Crossmen and their spreads to Troopers / Academy to see how Boston compares to Troopers / Academy.

Crossmen and Troopers have met both placed ahead of Boston Crusaders once in the early season, but both Crossmen and BAC have placed ahead of Troopers by a bit of a margin since that time. BAC and Crossmen have been a bit more neck in neck, but again the margin has been growing in BAC's favor. I don't think you'll see Colts ahead of Troopers and I think Spirit will be behind Colts. Academy could be a wild card. In the end I think we will see a repeat of last year's finalists, and it's quite possible in the same places, at least 6-12.

Every summer on DCP there are probably 200 posts in which someone says you can't compare scores between shows.

I do not understand all the angst about this subject. If I'm a Bluecoats fan and someone writes here that Bloo was overscored yesterday, and that future competitions will show this to be true, what am I supposed to be upset about? Either the Bluecoats will prove these people wrong or they won't.

I'm upset about the way DCI handles this "regional." This has nothing to do with the Bluecoats.

I'm upset about the way DCI handles this "regional." This has nothing to do with the Bluecoats.

Not to worry... The Illinois regional is tonight and the Nebraska regional is tomorrow night and after much bluster and consternation, we will have a better picture then. :tounge2: /S

• Like 1

Is it really that surprising? Since the turn of the century, SCV has only placed higher than 5th in brass three times (2nd, 3rd and 4th). More often than not, they've been in the 5-7 range.

And not stellar in guard as in past years. I do really like the show a lot though.
  • Like 1