DCI Minnesota - 7/11

For the record, not that anyone cares at this point, but unless I missed something, nowhere on the DCI website do they refer to the Minnesota show (or DATR for that matter) as a "regional." Seems like the fans are doing that. So I don't really get what all the hand-wringing is about. And as I said yesterday, even if was classified as an official regional, or if they sell patches to commemorate the event, so what? Back in the day, they used to hold two regionals on the same day lots of times. And if you're gonna try and tell me that DCI East or DCI Mid-America weren't regionals in those circumstances, you're gonna lose that argument every single day 'til the end of time. They most certainly were regionals, and winning them was a big deal.

Point is, many people will compare scores whether we want them to or not. Some will take those numbers with a huge grain of salt...[snip]

I have been told DCI Minnesota is a regional. Now, even if it's not. Both that show and DATR are big shows and it's a big deal to win, as you mentioned. I also agree with you that scores are there for comparing, whether we like it or not. If it's scored, it can be compared. How we approach that is up for debate, because if we are comparing scores then we must also compare show site, judges, climate, corps lineup, etc.

• Like 1

I think 1996 was my favorite guard. They were just unreal. That was the first drum corps show I'd ever seen live and I was speechless.

I still consider that one the best of DCI (including all those BD/Cavalier 20s). Wow.

I agree with those who are saying the season is not over, BD and Cadets will be trading wins, etc. Many people have predicted that this would happen, and predicted Crown would be in the mix, or when Bluecoats finally meet BD there will be an upset, and after last night SCV may be more of a contender than expected. Some have also noted potential flaws: BD is vulnerable, Cadets could plateau or may not have enough for a final victory, Bloo's electronics may be too much, Crown's percussion an ending need work, and while I'm sure pundits have mentioned weaknesses of SCV, I can't say I know what they are for certain. My guess is that Cadets and BD will battle for gold and silver, SCV, Crown, and Bloo for bronze.

People are waiting for San Antonio: the major showdown could be Monday night--all top seven from 2014 together. It will be interesting.

Curious that both G.E. judges had Madison in eighth, but due to how they scored other corps, Madison ended up seventh in G.E.

LOL. Convenient for people to NOW say "can't compare shows" when Bloo ends up "winning."

Minnesota "regional" my ###.

Every summer on DCP there are probably 200 posts in which someone says you can't compare scores between shows.

I do not understand all the angst about this subject. If I'm a Bluecoats fan and someone writes here that Bloo was overscored yesterday, and that future competitions will show this to be true, what am I supposed to be upset about? Either the Bluecoats will prove these people wrong or they won't.

• Like 1

I still love 93 the best, especially when they snap the flags to the ground with their feet at the end of the opener.

Right on! The '93 Tour Video has a very nice shot of that whole phrase. Star of Indy had a couple of amazing flag moments that night, too (esp. the fanfare just before the Dance of Vengeance [finale]).

It's cool that the post-2000 DVDs offer a guard cam. Cadets 2003 was great...and 2002's Boogie Woogie is just sick! See, BD doesn't write that way; their guards are less "obvious" with equipment. That's why I'm so underwhelmed by them. If I want that much subtlety, I'll go to an art museum.

• Like 2

I am not inferring, I am SAYING that a score of 80 on the same night in two different venues IS comparable. It is comparable because of the high level of expertise in judging and training by DCI. In will be comparable within an acceptable margin of error, certainly within the .90 range, and probably within the .95 range. That is a very high standard of reliability.

I'm not sure this is true at all. If you used a time machine to took any of last night's performances and showed it to the judges on July 11, 2014, the scores would probably be two points higher. If your time machine dropped this year's first performance by the Cadets into this year's Prelims, they'd probably score well above the 69.850 they earned back on June 17.

And we don't even need science fiction: SCV earned 81.500 on July 1 and 81.550 yesterday. Did they really only improve by 0.050 in ten days?

I'm getting pretty concerned that the Crossmen's scores have been going backwards for the last week or so. They got a 71.450 last night which is lower than every show they've been at since 7/2 in Foxboro and just barely besting their 7.400 in Allentown on 6/29. Certainly not my favorite Crossmen show by a long stretch but based on the times I've seen them I thought they've been steadily improving. After last night, they are sitting in 14th (behind Academy and Troopers) and I'm beginning to have serious concerns that they'll make finals.

I think they'll make finals, and I like that they are turning the page a bit on the same old same old, BUT this show just doesn't do it for me (I like the pre-show better than the actual show...not a good sign). And once again, their performance captions don't really stand out. Brass and color guard are OK, but nothing special, and I can't remember the last time they had a dynamic and memorable drumline. The pack they're sitting in will probably remain tight until the end. I think the ceiling in that group is 9th, and the floor is 13th or 14th, but I think they have a decent shot to make it into finals.

My apologies for your cold coffee, my friend. I take full responsibility. :tounge2:

Here, let me make up for it with some Mahler 2nd, music for a Sunday morning. (starts at :50) This will warm your coffee back up. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m6hMYnvs1c

I think Mahler, Grainger and Ron Nelson would each be smiling at hearing this brass sound.

• Like 1

Right on! The '93 Tour Video has a very nice shot of that whole phrase. Star of Indy had a couple of amazing flag moments that night, too (esp. the fanfare just before the Dance of Vengeance [finale]).

It's cool that the post-2000 DVDs offer a guard cam. Cadets 2003 was great...and 2002's Boogie Woogie is just sick! See, BD doesn't write that way; their guards are less "obvious" with equipment. That's why I'm so underwhelmed by them. If I want that much subtlety, I'll go to an art museum.

I love those Cadets guards of the 90's however the BD guards from 2008-present to me are on a whole other level. They are so incredibly talented and are integrated perfectly into their shows. I don't know much about flags and rifles but to me it seems that BD has as much if not more demand in their guards than anyone else. Edited by Yorkvillain