San Antonio Lineup

By the way, if anyone should be winning because of their uniform it's the Bluecoats and that cool looking outfit.

Ok, back to the show. My general take-away was:

1. Top 5 all had good shows and proved there is some distance between them and the next tier (BK, Cavs, Reg)
  2. Cadets proved they could perform 3rd from last and hold their advantage.
  3. Cadets and BD have tons of cleaning to do, so that dogfight can go in any direction
  4. Carolina Crown is a force, for sure. Very clean show with a somewhat weak ending. Can they hold off Bluecoats, who are not clean yet and who had some technical issues?

(respectful snip of the remaining 17 point, all of which I agree with BTW, just wanted to reference the post)

Willis, one of these days you and I are going to have a disagreement.

Over what, I have no idea, since I seem to agree with everything you say! :thumbs-up:

I've got all that (minus the wireless as my whole house is hardwired). I custom build my boxes and my latest build is only about a year old.

All that said - I think I belatedly discovered the problem. While going through my diagnostics I finally discovered packet losses which seemed to indicate that my modem was going qerplooie.

Bought a new modem today and no longer have any packet losses and back to blazing speeds on everything.

Good job tracking that down. That would not be an obvious problem to find.

+++

I like to tell people to upgrade the coax cables ends, and in general all the cable should be upgraded to quad-shielded RG-6 due to the demands of the new higher speed internet. I terminate my own ends, but I am not a pro, so my ends were not as good as they needed to be, as I found out.

I had 15 Mbps (download) cable modem that worked fine for years, then the cable company upgraded me to 50 Mbps without telling me. I instantly started having connectivity problems, my internet was out several times a day.

I called the company and the cable guy came to the house and replaced all the connectors and had me terminate any open connections with plugs. Apparently the high speed internet "bleeds" the stronger signal and you can't have any of it leaking or it causes problems. I have had zero problems since, my cable modem has now run reliably for months without interruption.

And make sure both your provider and your cable modem is Docsis 3.

Edited by wvu80

Willis, one of these days you and I are going to have a disagreement.

Over what, I have no idea, since I seem to agree with everything you say! :thumbs-up:

The difference between apples and oranges?

• Like 1

The density of the air is irrelevant, I just didn't feel like correcting them since they ended up coming to the right final conclusion of warmer temperature yields higher pitch. The real reason is that warmer air has more kinetic energy, so the molecules are moving faster and bump into each other faster, so sound travels faster in warm air. The equation if you are interested, is

V= 331.4 +.6*T

Where V is the velocity of sound in dry air (m/s), and T is the temperature of the air in Celsius.

nm..................

Edited by BRASSO

, where the temperature is 20 degrees and acoustic instruments have to produce sound through a more dense medium ("cold" air), then tubas and low brass seem to go "flat" more quickly than the other wind instruments.

Did you just say that in decreasing temperatures things tend to go " flat " more quickly than we'd ordinarily think would occur ? Does this Science work with Pigskins as well as Tubas ?

Edited by BRASSO

Inferno isn't a book, it's an epic poem.

Did they use the term "epic" back then?

• Like 1

The density of the air is irrelevant, I just didn't feel like correcting them since they ended up coming to the right final conclusion of warmer temperature yields higher pitch. The real reason is that warmer air has more kinetic energy, so the molecules are moving faster and bump into each other faster, so sound travels faster in warm air. The equation if you are interested, is

V= 331.4 +.6*T

Where V is the velocity of sound in dry air (m/s), and T is the temperature of the air in Celsius.

That's velocity in Dry air. Ok. Now, let's say you're ourdoors in a hot muggy day ( decidedly NOT dry air), then you go indoors into cooler, and drier, air. Two variables changed - air temperature (went down) and moisture content (went down). Recall that cold air can hold less water vapor than warm. So....it's more complicated and therefore more fun.

Here's a hint how to remember this: On a warm humid day, take a nice cold glass of ice water and set it on the table. Note how the outside of the glass gets all wet. The reason this happens is the cold glass cools the air around it. Since cool air can hold less moisture, it condenses on the glass..

Sound waves travel about four times faster in water than air, so these two effects (colder air, lower moisture content) act in opposite directions. Air temperature effect is the larger of the two.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1