I think you'd find that Cappybara isn't your most stalwart BD defender.

He's simply acknowledging that yes... what the Devils do is challenging.

Ah yes, anyone playing "BD Fan Excuse" bingo can mark off, "BD's version of demand doesn't look hard, but it is. Really, guys. It's really hard. Seriously."

I don't think we need to argue that what BD does is challenging. It's challenging in it's own right. Just because they don't have the same modus operandi as other groups does not mean they don't put out a challenging and quality product for its members. Most of us don't want "cookie cutter" drum corps, and we should be able to appreciate what BD does just as much as we appreciate what Crown or Bluecoats or Cadets does.

• Like 3

I don't know.......

Seven corps......

Seven different shows.....seven very different styles...... seven diverse strengths

ALL very entertaining... "vive la difference" ....oops, they went on second.......

• Like 3

I have seen BD live only once this year, but several times on video.

I know a common comment every year is BD's ensemble is spread out enough while they're playing to be noteworthy, and that is difficult in itself (which it is).

I'm going to go back and watch (don't ask me how :) and see just how often they do that this year. Off the top of my head (and again, only seeing them once live) it's one section in the show, and even then, they are parking 'n barking during it!

I hope Crown is getting more and more credit for being able to move 'n bark - they do a fair amount of their crazy stuff on the move (triple toungue section before the Ode towards the end this year for example, or that sick 32 or so bar run during 2013, etc.). If they do start to get more credit for that, maybe it will be a trend and we will see less of the park 'n bark used by everyone.

Yup. Went back and watched BD's show again. My recollection off the top of my head was correct. Only one spot in the show where the ensemble is spread out far enough to be noteworthy (IMHO) - the spot in the Gordon Goodwin piece where the trumpets are trading off licks with the baritones/tubas. Trumpets on about the 30 and baritones/tubas on about the other 30. Great section!

I'm not saying what BD does isn't difficult - it definitely is, and they make it look incredibly easy. However, they do a lot of standing still during technical musical passages. They do sound incredibly good during these sections (and during the sections while they are moving too).

If I'm not mistaken, BD may be the corps that started the whole "here comes a section of the horn line up to the front, and we are now going to show you how good we can play a technical passage while standing still" trend.

When I first saw Cavies show in the theater from Indy this year, my first reaction about the horn line was wow, all of those multiple tonguing passages are incredible (which they were)! It wasn't until I saw them again (first time live) and I realized that the horn line was standing still during those passages - every single one of them. And now, those sections seem to be gone from their show - perhaps too hard to clean completely?

The whole park 'n bark trend makes me appreciate Crown's horn line that much more when they move 'n bark.

Edited by Quad Aces

Something is telling me Crown is gonna take back the guard caption tonight and possibly brass if they have a good run. The closer needs to change visually AND musically if Crown wants a shot at 3rd place this season.

Unrelated to the competition last night, did anyone catch Dan Potter and the match game with the 2 girls at INT? From what I could see there were 14 placards. Contestents picked the matched pairs of corps logos. The game ended in a tie. If there were 14 placards, a pair of logos for each corps, then how could there have been a tie? There would have been 7 matches, correct?

Did Dan have an off night of math? Or did I miss something?

Edited by drumcorpsfever

All 7 corps sounded amazing last night. A few people on here know me, and know that I'm not a BD fan.. but that hornline!! wow.. anyway..

I was sitting in front of a couple of older (65+) ladies in the "B" section, row 12 if anyone else was near.. and I'd like to just say a few things to them, an "open letter" of sorts..:

Hey ladies..
Why do you go see DCI competitions? I only say this, because I never saw you smile, or heard a kind word from you, about much of anything last night. You were openly rude, and foul-mouthed, about every corps EXCEPT for the Blue Devils (I'm not harping on the Dev's here, just their fan-grannies)

Ladies, please take a moment to scan the audience around you.. I was there, right in front of you, with friends who are new fans of DCI, and their 7 year old daughter (who LOVED the corps).. You really made a serious BAD impression on them.
Let me just remind you of a few of the opinions that you made very clear last night..

"Cadets $*&%ing SUCK!"

"what the hell was that bull&^#$" (after the 'Coats)

countless remarks about corps back in "the" day...

and then during and after scores.. came a 5 minute tirade extolling the abilities of the judges.. including:

"that was the worst $@ing judging I've ever seen!" hollered at the field..

You made it clear to EVERYONE around you, that the Blue Devils were the only clear choice, and also recommended that no one else even bother to compete. That the DCI season would be better off (and this is another quote) " better off being a showcase of the Blue Devils, and everyone else preforming in exhibition"

seriously, I've been to many many DCI performances in my life, both on and off the field. I can regretfully say, that I have never heard anything as violent, and full of hatred, as I heard from you ladies last night..

maybe you were cranky because of the horribly hot weather?

maybe you never got into the corps you wanted ?

please stay home next time.

J

Edited by mellojay84
  • Like 5

All 7 corps sounded amazing last night. A few people on here know me, and know that I'm not a BD fan.. but that hornline!! wow.. anyway..

I was sitting in front of a couple of older (65+) ladies in the "B" section, row 12 if anyone else was near.. and I'd like to just say a few things to them, an "open letter" of sorts..:

Hey ladies..

Why do you go see DCI competitions? I only say this, because I never saw you smile, or heard a kind word from you, about much of anything last night. You were openly rude, and foul-mouthed, about every corps EXCEPT for the Blue Devils (I'm not harping on the Dev's here, just their fan-grannies)

Ladies, please take a moment to scan the audience around you.. I was there, right in front of you, with friends who are new fans of DCI, and their 7 year old daughter (who LOVED the corps).. You really made a serious BAD impression on them.

Let me just remind you of a few of the opinions that you made very clear last night..

"Cadets $*&%ing SUCK!"

"what the hell was that bull&^#$" (after the 'Coats)

countless remarks about corps back in "the" day...

and then during and after scores.. came a 5 minute tirade extolling the abilities of the judges.. including:

"that was the worst $@ing judging I've ever seen!" hollered at the field..

You made it clear to EVERYONE around you, that the Blue Devils were the only clear choice, and also recommended that no one else even bother to compete. That the DCI season would be better off (and this is another quote) " better off being a showcase of the Blue Devils, and everyone else preforming in exhibition"

seriously, I've been to many many DCI performances in my life, both on and off the field. I can regretfully say, that I have never heard anything as violent, and full of hatred, as I heard from you ladies last night..

maybe you were cranky because of the horribly hot weather?

maybe you never got into the corps you wanted ?

please stay home next time.

J

Now multiply these gals by 1000 and you have Pasadena '07.

A shameful night for the activity as a whole.

xandandl

it was just really sad.. there was such an odd "vibe" coming from them, and seemed like such an odd place (mid-missouri) for there to be a couple of senior citizen Blue Devil fans with that kind of attitude toward everyone. I can totally get, disagreeing with the judges.. but I save that for the car ride home, and good natured debate with friends... bad form ladies

Edited by mellojay84

Wow... unfortunate to say the least.

And a bit ironic considering that BD's show design is probably the furthest thing you can get from "back in the day" drum corps.

If they were 65-ish, they didn't march in the Blue Devils when they were winning, if they ever did march. I marched in BAC in the somewhat bad old days of the late 60's. We were regularly booed in Massachusetts, and occasionally even spit at by blowsers entering the stadium. We did our talking on the field. Today at shows, I keep my mouth shut unless it's to cheer for something I appreciate. I never lose sight of the fact that every competitor works harder than we ever did "back in the day". Most importantly, the competitors are someone else's kids. These days, that crap is not tolerated in the stands in Massachusetts. If it occurs, people should not hesitate to speak up. If that should lead to unpleasantries, well then its a trip in the drum corps time machine, when the fans were a cross between roller derby and a biker bar.

• Like 1