cappybara

It will be interesting how it all shakes down in SA. Some could say the winner will be based on the judging state given this seasons past data. I only hope they reward the groups that bring it that night and not bow down to the designers egos so much.

Would luv to see the performance side of the caption fluctuate more from night to night.

Its easy to sound amazing when your standing still. Its the marching arts---not the standing arts, is it not?

BD does stand still a lot especially in the beginning of the show and it will or should affect their content scores eventually as other groups in that tier clean up and play while moving and backing into exposed forms etc. I agree their are other ways to create effect than constant movement but I laugh when I here that lifting g and poi to g your big toe while playing a run is as difficult as hauling at 226 bpm weaving in and out around your buddies.

😂 < that's me when you tell me park n bark is as hard as hauling.

Edited by Tobias

What I am saying is I think that Sly, has finally put down the numbers that all of us really think. I think he has the balls to call out the groups who do a lot of park and bark.

Most of my dissatisfaction is not with the groups, its with the criteria and evaluation of our current judges and the obvious biases. Design is weighted too much for my liking, and performance should show the differences from night to night.

• Like 1

BD does stand still a lot especially in the beginning of the show and it will or should affect their content scores eventually as other groups in that tier clean up and play while moving and backing into exposed forms etc. I agree their are other ways to create effect than constant movement but I laugh when I here that lifting g and poi to g your big toe while playing a run is as difficult as hauling at 226 bpm weaving in and out around your buddies.

😂 < that's me when you tell me park n bark is as hard as hauling.

BD has its own challenges when they do their "park and bark" (god I hate that term). When BD isolates its members to different parts of the field, the spacing between them is so large that keeping everything together becomes a challenge. We've seen Cadets and Crown have ensemble tears this season and they aren't even as spaced out as BD is.

As for their guard, there is much more to difficulty than unison tosses. I'm not an expert on guards at all but the timing of BD's guard is absolutely incredible considering how they are staged (again, very far apart from each other).

BD may not do too much high velocity drill (they jazz run a lot of rotating blocks which is hard in itself to clean while simply walking), but just because the visual doesn't entertain you does not mean they should lose points in Visual. What they do is a different type of difficulty.

• Like 1

BD has its own challenges when they do their "park and bark" (god I hate that term). When BD isolates its members to different parts of the field, the spacing between them is so large that keeping everything together becomes a challenge. We've seen Cadets and Crown have ensemble tears this season and they aren't even as spaced out as BD is.

As for their guard, there is much more to difficulty than unison tosses. I'm not an expert on guards at all but the timing of BD's guard is absolutely incredible considering how they are staged (again, very far apart from each other).

BD may not do too much high velocity drill (they jazz run a lot of rotating blocks which is hard in itself to clean while simply walking), but just because the visual doesn't entertain you does not mean they should lose points in Visual. What they do is a different type of difficulty.

Not buying it.

• Like 1

Ah yes, anyone playing "BD Fan Excuse" bingo can mark off, "BD's version of demand doesn't look hard, but it is. Really, guys. It's really hard. Seriously."

I have seen BD live only once this year, but several times on video.

I know a common comment every year is BD's ensemble is spread out enough while they're playing to be noteworthy, and that is difficult in itself (which it is).

I'm going to go back and watch (don't ask me how :) and see just how often they do that this year. Off the top of my head (and again, only seeing them once live) it's one section in the show, and even then, they are parking 'n barking during it!

I hope Crown is getting more and more credit for being able to move 'n bark - they do a fair amount of their crazy stuff on the move (triple toungue section before the Ode towards the end this year for example, or that sick 32 or so bar run during 2013, etc.). If they do start to get more credit for that, maybe it will be a trend and we will see less of the park 'n bark used by everyone.

Edited by Quad Aces

How in Dante Inferno's name did the Blue Devils not win this show tonight. They sounded absoltely amazing.

My apologies to anyone I'm offending, but if I had to pick the Cadets or Blue Devils to showcase DCI, it would be the Blue Devils. No disrespect to the Cadets, mind you. It's just that if it was only one corps/one show between the 2 of them, it would be BD.

Tonight is just another example of judges not scoring what they see and hear when they see and hear it. Performance order still is an influencer of the overall show outcome.

Says you! But do tell me how you were there, in the press box or on the field, and exactly what you heard and saw.

• Like 3

Ah yes, anyone playing "BD Fan Excuse" bingo can mark off, "BD's version of demand doesn't look hard, but it is. Really, guys. It's really hard. Seriously."

I think you'd find that Cappybara isn't your most stalwart BD defender.

He's simply acknowledging that yes... what the Devils do is challenging.

• Like 3

I'd be delighted if there were different winners at each of the regionals and championships. Wouldn't that be a treat?

• Like 1