ALLENTOWN - Day 1

You must be sitting pretty far back. I was hitting over 100 dB on the front row in Prelims a few years back.

Top of bottom level. Could be the app too. He has a 2nd one that reads much higher - like 80's just on crowd noise

Top of bottom level. Could be the app too. He has a 2nd one that reads much higher - like 80's just on crowd noise

OK -- I was using a standalone dB meter.

Tonight was probably the first night I didn't have a "This isn't Felliniesque" moment during the show. It's growing on me.

I get that! It's growing on me as well...

As a matter of fact, I have to say that the quality of shows from top to bottom is outstanding this year. I find myself just as entertained and appreciative of the ones that are 12 - 18 as I do the top 12 this year. A great year over all.

• Like 1

The Blue Devils are just on another level. Incredible performance tonight. Best yet. I am beginning to LOVE this show as much as last year, and they are starting to hit those unbelievable performance levels that very few corps ever hit. Wow!!

• Like 4

What I don't understand is Cavalier's trombone quartet. I'm a tone deaf drummer, and even I can hear the BLAAAAT coming from their horns. It's not a good sound. :sad:

And I don't think I'm picking on trombones, because SCV and Blue Devils have some bari solos that are just some of the best sounds I've ever heard come out of a horn.

If I can hear the blatting, why can't Cavie's horn staff? I bet the judges hear it.

Edited by wvu80

The Blue Devils are just on another level. Incredible performance tonight. Best yet. I am beginning to LOVE this show as much as last year, and they are starting to hit those unbelievable performance levels that very few corps ever hit. Wow!!

There is very little visual demand is this show. For crying out loud their closer is marched at a snail's pace. And they are using twice as much goo as the next corps. The music is good, but the entire show--including GE and vis--is lacking.

• Like 1

My favorite performances tonight were Manderins, The Academy, Blue Stars, Cavs, SCV, Blue Devils.... (without taking away from all others who performed exceptionally well from top to bottom).

• Like 1

What I don't understand is Cavalier's trombone quartet. I'm a tone deaf drummer, and even I can hear the BLAAAAT coming from their horns. It's not a good sound. :sad:

And I don't think I'm picking on trombones, because SCV and Blue Devils have some bari solos that are just flat some of the best sounds I've ever heard come out of a horn.

If I can hear the blatting, why can't Cavie's horn staff? I bet the judges hear it.

It may be the style they're actually going for. Have you heard BD's opener? The low brass really lets loose and you can hear that exact same sound. I think it's for effect.

• Like 2

There is very little visual demand is this show. For crying out loud their closer is marched at a snail's pace. And they are using twice as much goo as the next corps. The music is good, but the entire show--including GE and vis--is lacking.

What is GE?