ALLENTOWN - Day 1

No. I heard a glitch during SCV, but I'm not sure what I was hearing.

+++

In fact sound was really good tonight. I know some people have complained the sound is too "soft" but when listening to a LOUD drum corp, that is what you want. You get greater dynamics that way.

If the gain were turned UP (louder) the sound would be compressed, with the loud parts toned down.

The key to listening through your computer is to NOT use the PC's headphone jack, it doesn't have enough output. Instead run the PC into a receiver, then use the receiver's power to get the loudness you want.

It will bring a smile to your face. :cool::music:

Bingo!

Way to go BK 2nd in Brass!!! Woohoo

I use a Sherwood receiver and AR 4x and also JBL 20-T

Sherwood are wired in a way that it won't put a 4 ohm load on the power amp. I forget which is which. Series of Parallel.

The AR's are very warm and the JBL's are very detailed. together they make a nice combination.

• Like 1

Way to go BK 2nd in Brass!!! Woohoo

Not to bash here, but this isn't a surprise right? The Cavaliers almost catch SCV's brass each year and have BK not topped SCV's brass this year?

• Like 1

I use my Samsung Built In TV Speakers:)

As a trombonist I will tell you that they are playing those jazzy licks in a characteristic tone and style. That's how funky trombone sounds. It has a little bite to the articulation. Now at times I think the mics and amplification are hurting and perhaps making it brighter than it should be.

Keep in mind that trombone is a cylindrical bore instrument, unlike baritone or tuba which are conical. Different approach to tone, articulation, style, and certainly projection.

For some samples of this style, go listen to some Stan Kenton or some late 70s Maynard Ferguson tbone sections. Obviously the quality will be much higher, but it will give you an example of what Cavaliers are striving for.

I will bow to your superior knowledge of tone and style. I don't even have to ask if you were listening closely, I'm pretty sure you always do. :cool:

It just seems to me when a horn is mic'd the performer doesn't have to overblow. Those bones sound like they are not producing a legitimate sound out of the instrument. It sounds very unmusical to me.

But your point is well taken, and Cavie's brass staff would not allow that sound, unless that is the exact sound they were looking for.

I still don't like it. :confused::music:

+++

For some samples of this style, go listen to some Stan Kenton or some late 70s Maynard Ferguson tbone sections

I have tons of Maynard, MF Horn, MF Horn II, Live at Jimmy's. The closest to that sound I think you are talking about was played on the superbone, which has that "loud blatty sound." I have Kenton's Chicago III suite, and much more. That is the horn sound I fell in love with. (not the superbone)

Edited by wvu80