ALLENTOWN - Day 1

There is very little visual demand is this show. For crying out loud their closer is marched at a snail's pace. And they are using twice as much goo as the next corps. The music is good, but the entire show--including GE and vis--is lacking.

Perhaps.....and ONLY PERHAPS, when DCI allowed goo, the Blue Devils were the best at incorporating it effectively. If we eliminate goo and everything attached to an electric cord, we won't have mic and amplifier problems OR goo....and the cream will still have to rise to the top sans-goo......

• Like 2

I know I'll get blasted for this....but, after SCV's high octane, really exciting show, BD just feels same ol' same ol', kinda boring. Yikes. Don't hate on me......they just don't hold my attention anymore.

That's why performance order is so important. If BD had gone on before Vanguard, it would have been a whole different vibe.

• Like 1

What is GE?

Isn't that the company that brings good things to life?😜

• Like 2

What is GE?

The company that sponsors SCV's illuminating accessories. Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2

That's why performance order is so important. If BD had gone on before Vanguard, it would have been a whole different vibe.

It seems that the high energy shows were spaced throughout the performance order (not intentionally, either)

What I don't understand is Cavalier's trombone quartet. I'm a tone deaf drummer, and even I can hear the BLAAAAT coming from their horns. It's not a good sound. :sad:

And I don't think I'm picking on trombones, because SCV and Blue Devils have some bari solos that are just flat some of the best sounds I've ever heard come out of a horn.

If I can hear the blatting, why can't Cavie's horn staff? I bet the judges hear it.

As a trombonist I will tell you that they are playing those jazzy licks in a characteristic tone and style. That's how funky trombone sounds. It has a little bite to the articulation. Now at times I think the mics and amplification are hurting and perhaps making it brighter than it should be.

Keep in mind that trombone is a cylindrical bore instrument, unlike baritone or tuba which are conical. Different approach to tone, articulation, style, and certainly projection.

For some samples of this style, go listen to some Stan Kenton or some late 70s Maynard Ferguson tbone sections. Obviously the quality will be much higher, but it will give you an example of what Cavaliers are striving for.

• Like 2

GE can also be your General Education. If that's the case, god help you since the education system is all whack. :peek::peek::peek:

It stands for general effect. Its one of the judging elements.

Sorry you missed what I was asking. I know what GE stands for. The poster I quoted said that BD lacked GE and I wanted to know why the poster thought that -- what does he define as GE?

• Like 2