ALLENTOWN - Day 1

There are still kids who are sick and I believe I heard six guys did not perform (Some Cavies staff sat behind me during their performance). I Thought their performance was a bit off but not horrendously off, and I'm not sure that the trombones or vocals helped their cause, but their effort was amazing, the show did have that Cavies feel to it, and I have little doubt that they will be stronger in the final push.

Cavies marched the full 150 last night, according to their Twitter feed. I thought it was a good performance (admittedly a first read for me) with the issues one would expect for a corps in the 7-8 position coming in. As I said last night, I really like the show a lot.

The company that sponsors SCV's illuminating accessories.

Wait. Isn't this wrong? GE was Tesla's fierce competitor, Edison's, company.

But good play anyway.

Crap, now I have to go back pages to find where I left off catching up. If someone's already made this point, my apologies. Ditto if I remember the movie wrong.

Edited by garfield

As a trombonist I will tell you that they are playing those jazzy licks in a characteristic tone and style. That's how funky trombone sounds. It has a little bite to the articulation. Now at times I think the mics and amplification are hurting and perhaps making it brighter than it should be.

Keep in mind that trombone is a cylindrical bore instrument, unlike baritone or tuba which are conical. Different approach to tone, articulation, style, and certainly projection.

For some samples of this style, go listen to some Stan Kenton or some late 70s Maynard Ferguson tbone sections. Obviously the quality will be much higher, but it will give you an example of what Cavaliers are striving for.

When I describe to horn people the differences in the snare throw-offs of Yamaha, Pearl, Mapex, and Dynasty snare drums, they give me the same look I'm giving you right now about the sentence above. What the heck does that "cylindrical" thing mean?

:confused:

I use a Sherwood receiver and AR 4x and also JBL 20-T

Sherwood are wired in a way that it won't put a 4 ohm load on the power amp. I forget which is which. Series of Parallel.

The AR's are very warm and the JBL's are very detailed. together they make a nice combination.

Nice setup! I have the Sherwood amp and receiver sitting on the shelf in my study. Was very high quality equip back in the early '70's. Warm and "tube-y".

Today I run a pair of Bryston 4B's to drive Magnepan 3.6/R, and use the Apple TV and my desktop as the source. Also have an old Nakamichi pre-amp attached that I haven't used much with my old FN subscription, but I'll probably be dusting off some legacy content and playing through my McIntosh Blu/DVD platform.

I didn't listen through the setup last night but, when I do, the Maggie's sound-field is so broad and deep that it's like actually being in the stadium. Scary good sound if the source is good.

Dang, back another 10 pages... trying to catch up...

• Like 1

When I describe to horn people the differences in the snare throw-offs of Yamaha, Pearl, Mapex, and Dynasty snare drums, they give me the same look I'm giving you right now about the sentence above. What the heck does that "cylindrical" thing mean?

:confused:

Cylindrical versus conical. Straight sides versus tapered. Cornets are more conical than trumpets and have a mellower tone. Likewise baritones versus trombones -- mellow or edgy.

Of course, what the player does with the difference is what really counts.

Cavies marched the full 150 last night, according to their Twitter feed. I thought it was a good performance (admittedly a first read for me) with the issues one would expect for a corps in the 7-8 position coming in. As I said last night, I really like the show a lot.

I read the same Tweet, after I posted the comment. Lesson learned: verify if people are actually staff, and don't listen to the guy next to you who points out the holes.

trumpets were very clean tonight.

the audio really sucks tonight.

if the audio sucked how could you tell the trumpets were "very clean" ???

• Like 1

I find it interesting that not one single corps increased their scores last night. I'm starting a conspiracy theory. :ninja:

I am not joining in the conspiracy, but isn't Allentown where we usually see the biggest movement in scores? I was kind of shocked at the scores also.

I also am confused about Allentown being a 2 day event for money reasons. The vendors may make more money from this, but I am not sure about DCI. If you buy a 2 day ticket package in October, it comes out to $35 a night. Isn't that cheaper then the other regionals, and even cheaper than the TOC shows?