ALLENTOWN - Day 1

I find it interesting that not one single corps increased their scores last night. I'm starting a conspiracy theory. :ninja:

I'm joining the conspiracy. The corps are great and the scores are lower. Someone is pulling the strings!

• Like 1

Nice setup! I have the Sherwood amp and receiver sitting on the shelf in my study. Was very high quality equip back in the early '70's. Warm and "tube-y".

Today I run a pair of Bryston 4B's to drive Magnepan 3.6/R, and use the Apple TV and my desktop as the source. Also have an old Nakamichi pre-amp attached that I haven't used much with my old FN subscription, but I'll probably be dusting off some legacy content and playing through my McIntosh Blu/DVD platform.

I didn't listen through the setup last night but, when I do, the Maggie's sound-field is so broad and deep that it's like actually being in the stadium. Scary good sound if the source is good.

Dang, back another 10 pages... trying to catch up...

Nice setup yourself!

I used to own Magnapan's, they were the most accurate speaker I ever heard. The few drawbacks are they are sensitive to precise setup, they require lots of power, and they need a sub for the lowest octaves. But those are the most listenable speakers you will ever hear.

I built a couple of speaker setups which I change all the time, but essentially I have everything geared towards listening to drum corps! That means LOUD, and that means horn driven! To that end, I have some Klipsch CF-4's with a 15" sub for the computer room.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158318-chorus-2-45-day-updatereview/#entry1904823

Edited by wvu80

Paul has been judging for a while. If he dumped them they deserved it. I can tell you that while I enjoyed Cavies' show, the brass line did sound weak a lot of the time, and had a host of tuning and other issues. Paul simply judged the show presented to him.

But it wasn't just the Cavaliers, he also underscored* the Blue Stars and Santa Clara Vanguard. He may simply be putting down what he is hearing, but it is not consistent with other judges.

*By underscored I mean a score lower than received over the past week, at least, longer for both Cavaliers and Vanguard.

But it wasn't just the Cavaliers, he also underscored* the Blue Stars and Santa Clara Vanguard. He may simply be putting down what he is hearing, but it is not consistent with other judges.

*By underscored I mean a score lower than received over the past week, at least, longer for both Cavaliers and Vanguard.

By "not consistent" do you mean absolute value, or relative value?

The goal is to pick a winner and rank the participants, and absolute value is not as important. In fact I would go as far as to say its not important at all when you are scoring at the very top of the scale.

Yeah BK was like .6 lower, it happens at every regional pretty much... Scores tend to be more conservative for all

I'm joining the conspiracy. The corps are great and the scores are lower. Someone is pulling the strings!

I'm outraged. I could hardly sleep last night, especially with BD down .25 - How can that be?

• Like 1

The final score for BD is .25 lower than the previous day. that doesn't happen this time of year.

My favorite is Vanguard scoring an 89.650 and only being .300 behind the Bluecoats and 1.500 behind the Blue Devils, having three straight rehearsal days and coming back to a 90.650 (one point increase) being nearly 2 points behind the BC and 3 points behind BD.

Then the very next night scoring a 90.575 and being 3.25 points behind the Blue Devils.

if the audio sucked how could you tell the trumpets were "very clean" ???

The lower brass sounded thin for everyone. The passages the trumpets were playing was more articulate than I had ever heard them yet.