ALLENTOWN - Day 2

rip off....... third year in a row that INT performed the EXACT same show......note-for-note.........

• Like 1

This might be off topic but in a nutshell what makes groups "non contenders"?

As Jeff Ream likes to say, whoever scores highest wins. Non-contenders are those who don't score highly enough. As to why they don't . . .

I realize BD and those groups are pretty close to perfection but what is the driving difference? Is it the show itself or music quality? I have heard some great bottom half groups that will obviously not have the punch as a big corp but does that affect the scoring?

Both. Corps need a good vehicle and then they need to drive it very well.

As for "punch", for World Class corps, at least this year, it's largely not about size. Probably every W.C. corps has enough people on the field to at least make Finals: I mean, enough to consistently deliver a big sound and present a big picture whenever their show needs it. What they don't all have is the design or the execution to go that far. A great actor won't win a Tony merely reading from the phone book; a poor actor won't win a Tony even playing Hamlet.

• Like 2

Anyone know how they decide who performs on which night at Allentown? Is it just random draw?

It's not random. The Crossmen are always on Saturday. It is a given. The alumni have been doing a picnic in the park before the show for as long as I can remember.

They even announced them today as "formerly from Delaware County PA."

I wonder why Bones didn't show. Maybe he was getting a hot dog.

<<snip>>

A great actor won't win a Tony merely reading from the phone book;

<</snip>>

but.......James Earl Jones could probably get a nomination

• Like 2

About singing: I am wondering if Troop, Bones and BAC got the same memo. Kind of coincidental if you ask me!

• Like 1