ALLENTOWN - Day 2

I think you will prove to be prophetic.

But Cadets just spent thousands on all-new uniforms, and whoever made the decision to use them is NOT going to admit it doesn't work. Individual ego will prevail, and the very real chance at a championship which doesn't come every year, will be gone forever.

The kids are deserving of a championship shot. Will ego deny them that?

They could make some changes to the black uniforms to make them work better? Why not add a silver or gold stripe down the leg? Or a different colored cumberbund. They will also look a lot sharper on the Lucas Oil field where there aren't so many shadows. I think they'll be fine.

What I think is causing spacing errors to be more apparent is the lack of a horizontal element. With the old uniforms, each person was divided into three prominent bands of color: maroon, gold, cream. When in a drill formation, the bands visually link side-to-side, connecting everything. So even with the light pants, spacing variances don't jump out quite as much. With the solid black, and no horizontal anywhere, you read each person as a vertical black peg, and it is immediately noticeable if each peg is not the exact same distance apart. Interesting.

With the Angel/Demon uniforms, they all had the gold horizontal cummerbund as a unifying element, so the side-to-side connection was present there.

I gave you a "Like" on your post, but I had to comment on your incredible insightful analysis. I don't have the vocabulary to put it into words, you did it perfectly.

I don't want to be a butt head to Cadets, because I believe in them, I love them, I love their mission and their incredible leader, but I doubt anybody there is listening. :unhappy:

• Like 1

I think you will prove to be prophetic.

But Cadets just spent thousands on all-new uniforms, and whoever made the decision to use them is NOT going to admit it doesn't work. Individual ego will prevail, and the very real chance at a championship which doesn't come every year, will be gone forever.

The kids are deserving of a championship shot. Will ego deny them that?

I tend to agree with this. Now, in the long run the investment is worth it because Cadets 2 get the uniforms, and I am sure they will modify them to some extent to have a bit more color. I also didn't mind it so much that Cadets decided to explore with only 10 days left. In the end we can all say we got to see them in Maroon and Gold. But it is tough when you know the corps is THAT good and you feel they could easily win this thing, and then they go and take such a big risk.

Now, who knows, maybe it pays off for them. Maybe they do win. They did throw down tonight I thought. But even if they did win, I am not wild about the all black look. Maybe if they had a darker maroon top with white streaks in the plumes. But to me it does clutter the visual to some extent. Saktig really writes drill for those white pants. His drills tend to reflect legs and motion so well. The corps that typically wear black bottoms tend to go with colored tops and do not march a similar style of drill.

At any rate, they were fabulous tonight.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

By the scores and my memory from recaps BD came in 2nd in percussion? scored a 19.10 the night before and then went down to a 18.5 in Brass?

In overall musicality I think Cadets have it.

i still - to this day - LOVE their show from 1991 - a show about the seasons, it got them into finals and was so musically outstanding - the brass section and the soloist - WOW

can't believe that's been 25 years ago - god I sound OLD

You sure that wasn't 1993? That was their first ever Finals.

Something tells me that Cadets have something up their sleeve that we will see only on Saturday night. I have no idea what it is, but I think there will be "something." Neon stripe on the pants perhaps?

Hop will make the Drum Corps world go bananas by introducing a uniform based on the following color scheme:

black-blue-white-gold-dress.jpg?raw=1

DCP will be shut down for days as the conversation about uniforms reaches a pinnacle.

Edited by AROD24601
  • Like 5

The only thing that looks like a safe bet in the placement at Finals is SCV for 5th. Can't see any chance they fall lower than that.. nor rise higher than that. Otherwise, there appears to be lots of potential for possible movements up or down across what now looks to be the final Top 12 for 2015.

I gave you a "Like" on your post, but I had to comment on your incredible insightful analysis. I don't have the vocabulary to put it into words, you did it perfectly.

I don't want to be a butt head to Cadets, because I believe in them, I love them, I love their mission and their incredible leader, but I doubt anybody there is listening. :unhappy:

I agree on this post as well... very insightful. I just disagree with the conclusion - but that's ok

Right now - as things stand, if you add up the content/rep/comp scores for the top 3 from tonight as scored TONIGHT this is what you get:

Crown - 103.1

Cadets - 103.8

Bluecoats - 103.0

so Cadets, in their black uniforms, had the highest "show" scores from the judging panel

they are just dirty and must execute

thing is - time is running out - so only 4 days to get clean quick

but the color thing - which I realize you don't care for - isn't being scored as an issue

• Like 1