Staff changes 2016

Oh I know. But that goes back to my point that some of the music he was given didn't give him much to work with. Like.. Nimrod? Nessun Dorma? Organ Sympony? Claire de Lune? American in Paris? Soundtrack music from King Kong?

I'd really like to see what Don can do with some refreshing music that doesn't involve rehashes. I want to see what would happen if the design team threw something at Don similar in originality to 2010. If he still fails to make Phantom sound like Phantom, maybe it is time to part ways. But at least give the guy a chance.

What's this from you?!? :P

Well, the ones giving him the theme and music are Farrell and Earnhardt. Hill can only arrange what's been given to him, which is what Earnhardt has already mapped out.

Edited by phd-student-TTU

Oh I know. But that goes back to my point that some of the music he was given didn't give him much to work with. Like.. Nimrod? Nessun Dorma? Organ Sympony? Claire de Lune? American in Paris? Soundtrack music from King Kong?

I'd really like to see what Don can do with some refreshing music that doesn't involve rehashes. I want to see what would happen if the design team threw something at Don similar in originality to 2010. If he still fails to make Phantom sound like Phantom, maybe it is time to part ways. But at least give the guy a chance.

The only way "Phantom will sound like Phantom" is if they return to their traditional sound and musical selections from the mid to late Romantic through mid-Modern periods. "Classical Elegance" is their style, it's what they do best. IT'S WHAT THEY WON WITH. All top 10 corps are basically performing the same style and era of music they have been for the past 30 years. Those who have tried to reinvent themselves to resemble the corps at the top often end up going by the wayside.

The only way "Phantom will sound like Phantom" is if they return to their traditional sound and musical selections from the mid to late Romantic through mid-Modern periods. "Classical Elegance" is their style, it's what they do best. IT'S WHAT THEY WON WITH. All top 10 corps are basically performing the same style and era of music they have been for the past 30 years. Those who have tried to reinvent themselves to resemble the corps at the top often end up going by the wayside.

And in the meantime Crown has taken over as the classical corps. Snooze ya lose.

And in the meantime Crown has taken over as the classical corps. Snooze ya lose.

If PR wants a ring next year all they have to do is dust off their '89 show and Crown wouldn't know what hit'em because the judges will definitely be watching!

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 1

And I guess my point is I think those who are disgruntled have had the opportunity to see enough. Most of the material in 2012 was brand new, much if it in 2013 and 2014 was also.

Now, perhaps my issue deals more with overall design, and I end up blaming Hill too much. For what it's worth, I thought his work in 2012 was excellent, but the overall design (and talent level) was, in my opinion, also excellent. I don't have that same opinion about the overall designs in 2013-2015, and coincidentally, I don't like the brass arrangements at all.

Edited by kdaddy

Phantom. Though I guess that could be applied to both corps.

A lot of people are calling for a total overhaul of the Phantom organization and I think that's highly unnecessary. A new program coordinator is a must, in my opinion. Just to bring in a fresh mind full of ideas. Percussion and Guard are continually trending down, suggesting that a change would not hurt. Brass is staying steadyish, so I think some more time is needed along with a stronger program to work with. Visually in terms of drill, I think the design is pretty decent.

A lot of people are calling for Don Hill's head. He certainly isn't my favorite arranger, but he is not bad by any means. He has been given some pretty uninspired and overused pieces to work with, resulting in a lot of people comparing his arrangements with previous arrangements. Not exactly fair.

Don's been given more than enough chances, IMO.

Also, a good arranger can take any of those pieces, if we want to refer to them as rehashes, and put a quality product out there.

Look at all that were skeptical of SCV using Scheherazade last year thinking it couldn't live up to 2004, and the show was great.

I also think for PR, things run much deeper than brass arranging.

• Like 4