Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

But it should happen. The black is awful & Garfields slide started with the black. Hop messed up a great season.

False, their slide started when Crown put in a new closer.

• Like 4

Whats the lowest a corps has placed that also got a caption award? I know PR 2010 Got High Percussion in 6th, is there anything lower than that?

82 Bridgemen....won drums, corps in 8th.

77 Oakland Crusaders...wins drums in prelims, corps does not make finals.

• Like 4

Are crossmen trying to make semifinals penalties that almost keep them out of finals a tradition or something?

• Like 1

In a year like THIS one...where the "lead" changed #### near every show

If you have been following however, the request was made in preseason to the judging community to slot the corps close during the seaason to create closer competition. That was accomplished. We all enjoyed volatility and its excitement within the pecking order clusters. But once we got to to Championships Week we see real spreads develop but no more volatility. For example, if we eliminate the quirkiness of a couple of Corps getting penalties, all 25 Corps from yesterday in the Quarters finished exactly in the same placement position here in the Semi's. Thats no longer volatility, thats incredible consistency. This is down to Crown and BD now for tomorrow nite. Bluecoats, without the BD penalty yesterday have not topped BD in head to head compettition since 2007, 8 years ago. Were they ever going to top them this season ? I don't believe so. But this does not mean we can't enjoy their cutting edge, phenomenal show this season. I know I did.. a lot.

Edited by BRASSO

82 Bridgemen....won drums, corps in 8th.

77 Oakland Crusaders...wins drums in prelims, corps does not make finals.

Wow! That's insane.

• Like 1

But it should happen. The black is awful & Garfields slide started with the black. Hop messed up a great season.

This again. You really think Cadets would be running in first if only they hadn't changed the uniform?

• Like 1

I hear you, but maybe this is what the Cadets are going for? Maybe that high stepping in the ballad is supposed to look like a flush of legs all blending -- cogs in the machine. It's sort of a shostakovich show, so maybe, for them, the conformity of the black pants is deliberate and thematic; this wouldn't be the first time the Cadets made uniform choices that served the themes of the show.

Also, it's not as if the Cadets invented black pants... Plenty of other corps doing lots of body over the years have used the black pants to great effect -- SCV, for example -- so why this has inspired so many freakouts over being able to see the Cadets' legs is a little beyond me, tbh.

And to expand on that, during Cavaliers 2000-2006 dynasty years, their bread-and-butter was amazing visual design + body movement: with black pants and green jackets (ie jackets that are very similar to field and don't exactly pop as noticeable as, say, maroon and cream). Also, PLENTY of folks are quick to attribute Crown switching to black pants as a positive that helped boost their vis. scores by hiding dirt their cream uniforms exposed. Using Cadets' switch to black as an excuse for them not winning seems like an uber cop out. I get how black pants aren't as 'crisp' as white or cream, and if anything I could see how their stark uniforms might not make for championship GE in some people's opinions. But I don't think it's what is hurting them score wise (though I'd LOVE to hear who Hoppy talked to that told him the all black would hold them back).
  • Like 1

I remember when PR wore all black in 1996. Can't remember how they placed that year, though.

Funny enough, I remember quite some time back when people complained that the only reason Blue Devils and Cavaliers were winning was because they took the stripe off the leg; that it cleans up the drill and assures a higher score. My how things change.

Edited by Elmo Blatch